We have been pulling up our August 27 SAS flight locator number periodically to check status, seats, etc. We caught an equipment and subsequent seat change a couple of weeks ago and fixed that.
This weekend we decided to see what our current flight would cost if we had to rebook it and discovered that the MUC-CPH segment of the MUC-CPH-SFO return flight doesn’t exist anymore. When were they going to tell us?… We started to think of our plans B,C,D and read through the documentation for (EC) 261-2004 to get ready to file for compensation and other things if they don’t notify us before the 2 week window.
We’ve been also trying to decide at what point we will just rebook the trip because of current Covid conditions. We are in a wait and see mode but now that we know one leg of our flight is missing we need to think about alternatives so we can be proactive.
One take away from this is that even if your flight record locator pulls up your whole flight, segments may be missing. We took screen shots yesterday of our dummy booking with the one flight option missing. Check your record but also see if you can rebook your flight on its actual dates when you get within a month or so of your flight and be familiar with (EC) 261-2004.
UPDATED: 8/18/21. SAS finally cancelled our entire flight yesterday because of the problematic MUC to CPH leg that no longer got us to Copenhagen in time to catch our CPH to SFO flight. They offered us a full refund or rebook our flight. The later wasn’t workable because they wouldn’t allow us to change our destinations and there was no workable solution for MUC to CPH at any future date. They would not let us change the problem destination leg of our flight to another city. We were willing to fly FRA to CPH to get us back to SFO but they wouldn’t allow it.
We took the full refund, not by clicking on their refund link which only gave us back 1/3 of our ticket price but by calling customer service who said they would give the FULL refund even for our low class of ticket.
Now we are in the process of filling out the further compensation form (EU261-2004) on the SAS website.
We cancelled all hotels and will try to rebook airfare later this year or next for summer of 2022 to get us back to Germany for some play tickets we have postponed from 2020.
It was hard to see this coming but we were prepared for it and we have some domestic travel to look forward to this fall and winter. The timing will be better when we are able to go without a lot of uncertainty. Best of luck to all of you with your 2021 travel plans.