Please sign in to post.

CDG to Paris

Is it faster to go from CDG airport to Paris Montparnasse by the metro or by the Air France shuttle bus? And about what kind of time difference is there?

Posted by
11507 posts

one simple question , did you read the reviews on tripadvisor?

Posted by
922 posts

You would first take the free CDGVAL shuttle to the RER station, then 35 minutes on the RER B to Denfert-Rochereau, transfer to Metro Ligne 4 (Direction: Porte de Clignancourt) and go 3 stops to reach Montparnasse, so probably a total of about one hour. One-way tariff: €9.50 plus a Metro ticket. The Air France Les Cars bus takes 1 hr 15 mins from CDG to Montparnasse with one brief stop to deboard passengers and their luggage at Gare de Lyon. One-way tariff: €16,10 if e-ticket purchased online in advance; €17,00 if purchased from the driver. The bus is less hassle after a long, tiring flight, especially if you have heavy luggage, but it's more expensive, takes a bit longer and is subject to road traffic delays.

Posted by
24 posts

yes. I wanted to see St. Catherine there at that church. I googled it and it said it was only 1 mile from montaprnasse

Posted by
9110 posts

Actually, you won't need to use the Val unless you arrive at T1 and need to use the Roissypol rer station. Additionally, the €9.50 rer ticket is all you need to get to Monparnasse - - there's no need for an additional metro ticket. As far as the basic question goes, it hard to say which is quicker. You might catch the bus as it's about to leave, but it only goes twice an hour while the rer goes five or six times. But you have to stand in line to get an rer ticket and you just pay the bus driver. And the bus might take a bit longer than a journey planner say the rer/metro will, but you might get confused at the line change and take longer than perfect. The bus probably won't have a problem with traffic congestion - - once they clear the freeway, they'll mostly be in dedicated bus/taxi lanes. Any time differential is inconsequential and hypothetical.

Posted by
10120 posts

Two more variables to add to Ed's: you need to take an express RER, not one that makes stops in all the suburbs on its way into Paris. Watch the lights on the board on the platform. Finally,the RER B is what they call saturated, bursting at the seams, and has daily delays, stopping between stations, breakdowns. It's the busiest of all the RER lines. With all these variables, it's impossible to give a firm answer.

Posted by
922 posts

With all the potentially negative variables outlined above, it sounds like the AF bus is the more dependable option. I've always found it to be on schedule, have clean coaches, with courteous drivers who help with luggage, and no evidence of any petty crime that the RER is notorious for. All round, though slower and more costly, I consider it the better option for getting to/from CDG, but I'm never interested in the race to the finish line, especially after a long transatlantic flight.

Posted by
24 posts

Thanks everyone! I don't mind the extra cost- for less of a hassle, it's not too much more. After everyone's input I'll take my chance with the bus. I wanted to get to Montparnasse with enough time to see a church that's nearby, just 1 mile away, before I have to get on the train, so that's why I was wondering about the fastest trip because I get in at CDG at 12:30 and train is at 5:25...keep my fingers crossed I guess. Thanks!

Posted by
922 posts

Dantae, are you by chance wanting to see St. Catherine Labouré in the Chapel of the Miraculous Medal in Rue du Bac?

Posted by
1329 posts

Do yourself a favor and take Les Cars Air France. It's almost fool proof. You're going to be exhausted, so you might as well save yourself a few steps. It'll be great!

Posted by
24 posts

You'll "DM" me? I got another e-mail taking me to another page on this site but I wan't sure if that was you, Rose, or not and wasn't sure what I was supposed to click on...unless it was just an email from the website itself.

Posted by
24 posts

And I'm sorry!- if that email was from you, I just deleted it by accident!

Posted by
922 posts

Dantae, I did DM you. Be sure you are signed in here (upper right), then click 'My Profile' (also upper right of screen). In your Profile screen you should see the DM from me. If you don't see it, let me know and I'll send it again.