Please sign in to post.

carry on luggage

This has probably been asked before. If my carry on luggage is of the right size, can i also carry a personal bag and a fanny pack without any problem. Going to Italy, Greece and Turkey.

Posted by
1178 posts

Depends on the particular airline...check the web site for each carrier to be safe. Basically from the states I think you can, but eurpoean carriers all differ. Nothing standard!!!

Posted by
203 posts

I asked this question of Alitalia and was told, both by the airline and by a previous traveler, that you can have a personal item (small backpack, computer bag, large purse) for under the seat and a carry on (of the proper dimensions AND weight) for the overhead bin. It is different for every airline and even within the same airline, it just depends on who is working the gate and whether or not they choose to weigh your bag or ask you to drop in the size verification bin. If you don't want to risk having your bag taken away from you, just be sure it is of the correct size and weight. Of course there is always the risk that, if you are last to board, that the overheads might be full and they gate check your bag anyway. :-(

Posted by
9369 posts

Are you talking about three pieces, total? Probably not, though as HJ said, it depends on the airline's rules. Can you fit your fanny pack in your personal bag until you board? One carryon and a personal item is more likely permitted than a carryon and two personal items. Still, check with the airline for their rules.

Posted by
48 posts

Yes. I am talking about three pieces. Maybe we'll have to put the fanny pack into the luggage or personal bag so there is only two items.

Posted by
203 posts

I would definitely squeeze your fanny pack into your purse/backpack or computer bag rather than risk your roller bag going over weight.

Posted by
410 posts

The short answer is - it depends on the airline. Best idea is to look at the rules on their website(s). Most of the budget carriers in Europe have strict carry on rules. Some insist on only one piece, which is generally more of a nuisance for women travellers as it includes their handbag(purse). Sometimes that one piece will also have strict weight and /or size limits. With others you can take (say) a handbag /personal bag and a carry on - but the carry on will again likely be subject to some weight or size limits. In my experience, how strictly checked or enforced the rules are can be dependant on the individual check in staff or the country of check in but don't rely on getting away with anything. I have paid excess on 2 kilos over and none on 4 kilos for example, but I considered myself lucky on the latter occasion. The non budget carriers are usually more flexible in their approach but I guess they can afford to be.

Posted by
48 posts

Thanks Marianne. Most seem to agree. They are more strict in Europe, more strict on the smaller airlines. Our solution then is to travel light! We going for 30 days so that will mean washing clothes more often, and not accumulating souvenirs in our travels.

Posted by
361 posts

Hi Lawrence, Travelling with carry on doesn't mean you can't bring home souvenirs. Just pack a light stowaway bag in your luggage (I use the RS stowaway totebag) and use that as your carry-on on the way home and check your original carry on bag. That allows you to bring home well wrapped and padded liquids in your checked bag. Have a great trip. Sherry

Posted by
48 posts

Sherry. Good idea! That's exactly what we'll do!

Posted by
653 posts

Lawrence, I spent 10 weeks in Italy last summer and took one rolling carry-on and the Civita daypack. I squeezed my purse into the daypack to have 2 items. I also took along some "comfortably used" clothing that I wouldn't mind parting with toward the end of the trip, and getting rid of a few items made room for souvenirs and gifts, so I didn't have to check any bags on the return flight. I also took the RS convertible bag but didn't need to use it.

Posted by
48 posts

Zoe, another great idea! We have a cousin that does exactly what you suggested. So here's what I think we'll do. Carry on luggage and a personal bag with the fanny pack tucked into the personal bag. Then we'll see what we accumulate on the trip and adjust form there.

Posted by
5678 posts

Lawrence, I think you have a good plan. My experience lately has been that airlines are enforcing this more strictly. They also look more carefully at the size. I have bag that when it's not stuffed, can be a carry on, but if you fill those pockets you get bumped. I was forced to take out my raincoat and wear on the jet bridge so that my bag wouldn't look too big. I've also noticed that you have to combine that smaller third piece in another piece of luggage. It's a bit of a pain, as of course, once you're on board you separate them. ; ) But I would have uniform enforcement than wonder what would work. Pam