Please sign in to post.

car rentals

Any comments on Tiger Car Rental vs. Avis/Hertz, etc. They are cheaper and have great cars at great rates. Are they reliable about having the correct car as agreed?

Posted by
3313 posts

Never heard of them. And that would make me nervous.

Posted by
32201 posts

I agree with Doug. They might be a reputable firm, but the fact that I've never heard of them would make me a bit reluctant to rent anything from them.

I normally arrange car rentals through my Travel Agent, as they seem to have better deals at times (possibly because they're dealing in volume, so can get a better rate from the rental firms?).

Good luck!

Posted by
8700 posts

Many people, myself included, recommend AutoEurope, a consolidator that finds you the best rate from among the companies with which it has contracts. If you find a better rate on your own, AE promises to either match or beat it. You can book online at www.autoeurope.com, but it's a good idea to call their toll-free number and ask about any specials that don't appear on the Web site.

Posted by
7209 posts

The good thing about AutoEurope is that they will beat any competitor's price. If you found an unbelieveable deal from Tiger Car Rental then call AE and tell them. If it's legitimate AE will beat their price and then you can rent from an agency that DOES have a good reputation (AE).

Posted by
842 posts

I agee, check out Auto Europe. If you can't find anyone with experience with Tiger Rental....I would be afraid...........very afraid.

Posted by
157 posts

Tiger is a consolidator, just like AutoEurope. I would expect the pricing and services to be pretty identical. You will often find cheaper rates, however, using Kemwel, another big consolidator.

Sometimes using a different consolidator will have a car in a location that another one won't - for example if you want to rent a car from a train station, AutoEurope often will use a car company that has only locations off-site.

So it just pays to shop around, determine the right pick-up, drop-off location, calculate the cost of insurance, drop-off fees, etc. to get the best deal (which is not always the cheapest on the surface).

Posted by
552 posts

What about all the nice thinks folks on these pages have said about Gemut.com?

Posted by
2779 posts

A lot of brand-name international car rental agencies like Budget, Sixt and others don't have an own fleet stationed in every country. They simply act as broker and forward you to a local player like Tiger. Tiger seem to be the ones you end up booking Budget and Avis in some parts of the UK anyway. I always book Sixt and I know in Ireland I get a local company that I could also book direct - but our company rates thru Sixt are better. If I didn't have those special rates the direct rates definitely would be lower than the official Sixt rates for Ireland.