Please sign in to post.

Car rental woes and a warning

(Note: This was posted this in the Italy forum first. Someone asked for it to be posted here also)

Rental Car Warning.

We recently booked a car rental in Italy. I thought I would share what happened to us and a word of warning. We booked a car through Auto-Europe, a large wholeseller of rentals. They were great to work. We booked a small 4 door compact with AC and a manual transmission. We ended up with reservation at rental company called EuropCar. It was picked up in Rome and dropped off in Venice 15 days later. When we picked it up, I requested our rental car as reserved and specifically asked for NO upgrades. I was assured that our rental car was as reserved and it did not come with any additional fees or charges. (Mistake #1) The car was rented on Festa della Repubblica (a national holiday) so the rental counter was closing at noon. As a service to the other customers I did not take the time to read and translate the entire rental agreement as it was close to closing time. After a quick glance over the mice type and balance due that day, the rental agent said to "sign here" so I did as requested.

Over two weeks later, we dropped of the car in Venice. The attendant checked over the car, the mileage, and checked the gas then told us that we were good to go. I asked “don’t we owe a remainder for the road tax?” He assured us that it was all included in the original charge and we didn’t owe anything else. I asked about final paperwork. The attendant said, since I didn’t own anything, and that they would send me an email in a day or two with the final paperwork attached. This sounded strange to me but he said that this was the way they always did it. (Mistake #2- I should have asked for the final paperwork.)

We flew home from Venice. Two weeks later a charge of $184 shows up on my credit card. I called EuropCar and they said it was an added charge for being given an upgraded class of rental car. I protested the charge stating that my car was not upgraded and asked for it to be removed. Several days later I got an email from them stating that this charge will be maintained as “you have signed the rental agreement accepting this charge.” I then called Auto-Europe, since they were company I booked the rental through. Since they would have more clout with EuropCar, I asked them to intercede on my behalf. A week later I got another email from EuropCar stating that upon further review,(Thank you Auto Europe!) they would be refunding me $121 for the upgrade charge. The remaining $63 was about what I had estimated for the road tax due so it was now correct.

My recommendations from this story are….
(1) book through a consolidator. Auto Europe was great to work with and handled my problem promptly.
(2) I was mislead at the rental counter and at the drop off location. Always, always, always read the fine print.
(3) Always get a hard copy of the rental agreement when you turn the car in.

Posted by
2916 posts

Change the country from Italy to France and your experience is practically identical to my recent rental experience. Same rental agency (AutoEurope), same rental company (Europcar). And like you, when returning the car I was told I'd get an email receipt later (I did, about 2 months later, through AutoEurope). In my case, the extra charge (besides the road tax and similar fees that I expected) was a one-way fee. And like you, it was through the intervention of AutoEurope that the charge was refunded. The moral: just hope for the best.

Posted by
8163 posts

Last time I got a car through AutoEurope, I could tell by the pickup address that I was going to get a Hertz car. You can Google an address and often figure out what company has the lot.
All rental car companies in Europe are not created equal. Even though the rental agency name may be one you're familiar with from the U.S., many rental companies are franchised in Europe. And they just don't operate there like they do in "The States."

Hertz is company owned in Europe and that's why I try to stick with them.

Posted by
100 posts

Sorry for your experience, but glad it was resolved. I will say that I have rented directly from Europcar several times in France and we have had no problems so whatsoever. But it's a good lesson to always make sure you understand what you're signing and to get a copy of the final bill when you turn in the car. We didn't get a final bill until later this last trip and although we had no issues, it would have been easier to rectify at the counter than after the fact if we had. So we'll remember that for the future.

Posted by
10221 posts

As I said in the other thread, Europcar has suddenly discovered upselling and hardselling this year. This is the first year we've experienced it after using Europcar via AutoEurope for sixteen years. I had the same problem Robert had and was reimbursed by AutoEurope, as well. The AutoEurope rep told me they were working with Europcar to clean up the situation. Whatever good situations you had in the past are in the past.Pay attention now but also know that AutoEurope will make it right.

Posted by
1219 posts

Just to add my experience from one who has never used a consolidator. I have rented seven times in Spain, Germany, Switzerland, and France directly from Hertz, Avis, National, and Sixt via their websites, and had good experience with all. Always got the rate / car I reserved (or nicer for the same rate) and always got a written receipt when turning in the car that matched expected charges. Maybe I've been lucky, but just didn't want folks to be left with the impression that there will likely be a problem when booking direct. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
1915 posts

To add more lessons learned: we returned our Auto Europe /EuropCar in France pretty much at the last minute it was due. We dropped it, they OK no problem, but later found out we were charged an extra day. We thought the "no problem" implied it was fine we made it in time. The extra charge was noted on our email.

Then another car we rented we fueled it up as we normally would prior to our return but then on our final emailed receipt we had a fuel charge. This is the first time this has happened anywhere. When we made a complaint we were asked for the receipt of the fuel we bought. We are in the habit of paying cash and not keeping receipts for things like that. In that situation we dropped the keys in the drop box and left the car. Probably not a good idea if you can avoid it, but sometimes you have to drop outside of their hours.

Good lessons to learn!

Posted by
10221 posts

Susan and Monte---call AutoEurope. They'll take care of these two problems for you. They have reps from all the rental car companies working in their Portland, Maine office, including EuropCar.

Posted by
1915 posts

Thanks Bets! This was in 2014 and we did call and try to get it resolved. We were stuck paying since we actually were late in returning the car- no grace period of even 5 minutes I assume, and we had no proof of filling the tank. Oh well. Lessons learned for next time.

Posted by
2916 posts

The AutoEurope rep told me they were working with Europcar to clean up the situation.

That's good to know. I assume that AutoEurope represents a sufficient chunk of Europcar's business that they might have some success. I've rented directly with Europcar a couple of times, but given my recent encounter, I'll probably continue to go through AutoEurope.

Last time I got a car through AutoEurope, I could tell by the pickup address that I was going to get a Hertz car.

I believe that both AutoEurope and Kemwel now always show you the different companies when they list the cars in your search, and then the invoice lists the rental company.