Please sign in to post.

Car Rental Question

If I rent a car in Italy and return to another location in Italy will I incur extra charges? I know that happens when renting in one country and returning in another, but would like to know what happens if you stay in country. Thanks!

Posted by
850 posts

You should not incur any extra drop off charges as long as you pick up and drop off in the same country. Try autoeurope for a quote.

Posted by
3607 posts

We do it all the time and never have had a drop fee. If any company tells you they'll charge for dropping off at another location in the same country, find another rental agency. The suggestion about Autoeurope is a good one. They'll match any price you find; they are easy to communicate with because they have an office in the U.S.; and I have always found their personnel to be very helpful.

Posted by
10259 posts

Thanks for your replies. I have used Autoeurope a couple of times. I will also check out other options as my trip gets closer. We are traveling in September.

Posted by
842 posts

Andrea, don't ask the question...let your fingers find the answer.

Go to the AutoEurope website and plug in various options. You will find (generally) that if you pick up a car at an airport it really adds to the price.....but if you drop it off at an airport there is no fare increase.

We always pick up in one location, and drop off in another. But, if you drop off in another country, (generally), it will cost you a heck of a lot more.

And we always pay for our rental here in the states. No surprises!

One more thing. If you have an option of several lots/locations to pick up your car, check out some of them. Many times one of them is the major lot for the town, and it will have many more options for you to pick from, and one of those is usually cheaper.

Again, just go to the websites and play with the options. You may be surprised with what you find.

Happy hunting!