I was not aware that the World Mastercard offered "primary" CDW/Theft protection on rental cars. Could you elaborate details of the coverage and if there is an additional fee to activate the coverage (annual or per rental)?
I got a copy of the Amex "primary" CDW/Theft protection plan which any cardmember can activate for a one-time fee per rental of $24.95 for maximum coverage ($17.95 for CA residents). The highlights of the plan...called the premium rental car protection plan...are listed below.
And for those of us whose kids are of driving age and renting cars, they can also be covered under these terms if they hold and use an additional card on your account.
· The Cardmember must be the primary renter on the rental agreement
· Primary coverage is provided for theft or damage to a rental vehicle
· There is no coverage provided for liability
· Coverage is provided for Accidental Death and Dismemberment ($100K/$250 for CA residents, max $500K)
· Coverage is provided for Excess Medical Expenses ($15K/covered passenger beyond their own medical plan)
· Coverage is provided for Personal Property ($5K/person, up to max of $10K)
· Coverage is worldwide except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica and New Zealand
· There is coverage provided for Loss of Use or Loss of Revenue
· Cardmember must use an enrolled Card to pay for a rental auto
· Full-size vans, full-sized SUV's, pick-up trucks, and luxury vehicles are covered
· Coverage is provided for up to 42 consecutive days
The major factor deterring us from using this type of primary coverage was the potential hassle of coordinating the claim and pay-out in the event of an accident or loss. The Amex rep explained that it was a simple matter of calling in the claim with the usual details and that Amex would then deal directly with the rental car company and see it to resolution although the fine print indicated otherwise.