Please sign in to post.

Car rental Italy

I never want to assume anything when traveling overseas, so wondering if one rents a car in Chuisi, can it be returned to FCO? Realizing it may cost extra, but just want to be sure it can be done

Posted by
11177 posts

Just plug in rent 'here' drop 'there' when doing your search and the companies that do one ways will appear.

Way back when there was no one way fee in Italy, but since covid, there seems to be. It will not be free, but it will not be punitive like international one way.

Posted by
6788 posts

CAN it be done? Of course. But it might depend on the car agency you use. Check with them. In most cases, if you check online, it will take about 5 seconds to get your answer.

Posted by
11156 posts

We rarely return the rental car to the place where picked it up in Italy or most of Europe. It there’s a charge it is better than having to drive all the way back to where you started.

Posted by
8141 posts

Note: We found that renting cars in Italy usually requires pickup in the larger cities. The smaller cities don't have international car rental agencies very often.

If you do rent, you can usually return them to an airport without the franchise fees and carrying fees that you would have had if you'd picked up the car in the airport or train stations.

Posted by
8 posts

Yes, some rental locations don't penalize you with one-way drop fees because they need to move vehicles. I plugged in a random week (pick up in Chiusi and drop in FCO) in September on autoeurope.com and found that to be the case. YMMV. Wife and I picked up and returned in Chiusi in May and the train to/from FCO was fine as well.

Posted by
32202 posts

As you're planning to rent a car in Italy, be sure that you pack along the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home DL. IDP's can be easily obtained for a small fee at any CAA / AAA office.

You'll also need to do some research on the ZTL (limited traffic) zones that exist in many Italian towns. Each pass through one will result on a violation ticket and hefty fines, which you likely won't know about until several months after you return home. There are also speed cameras, tolls, etc.