Please sign in to post.

Car rental insurance

When renting a car in Italy, should you add on any extras? I.E. Insurance?

Posted by
8125 posts

Car rental CDW insurance is mandatory in Italy--mandated by the government. (The other place is Ireland.) The Italian CDW is fairly priced, however.
Where the rental company will attempt to get you is on optional theft insurance for your personal belongings. You can opt out of that coverage, however (since it's a rip off.)
All vehicles on European roads have to be covered on a green card--liability coverage--and it's included in any base rental payment.

Posted by
5697 posts

Are you feeling lucky ? I would not rent a car at home without knowing what insurance coverage I had (including what was covered by the credit card I was using.) Used to get the extra per-rental Amex coverage, now rely on Chase Sapphire Reserve.

Posted by
3517 posts

There was a story on another web site I visit (Elliott.org) about someone who didn't take out the full CDW coverage on their rental. It cost him over $27,000 that was charged to his credit card while waiting on the credit card insurance to pay and it dragged on for several months. Not saying that would happen to you, but you never know.

When travelling somewhere outside the US, I always get the fullest insurance coverage I can when I rent a car. It has come in handy a few times (not to the level of the other instance I mention) but definitely saved me the mental stress of dealing with it.

Posted by
26 posts

Thank you all so much. I told my husband I would rather be safe than sorry especially in another country.

Posted by
4511 posts

Used to get the extra per-rental Amex coverage, now rely on Chase Sapphire Reserve.

Ditto me, except I'm using the Chase United Discover Card (same policy as Sapphire).

The answer to the OP is NO! because the car will come with CDW with a deductible automatically, and your credit card should cover the deductible (both Chase cards mentioned cover the deductible when the basic CDW is required), but call and ask. That way you are still safe and have extra money in your pocket. Amex has no Italy coverage.

I did read the Elliott piece, and eventually all damages were paid in full. Note that the difference between that story in Spain and any Italy rental is that you would never be on the hook for more than the deductible, usually about $2000. The advice at the end of the Elliott piece about insurance is mixed up and NOT HELPFUL!!!

I always get the fullest insurance coverage I can when I rent a car.

To each his own but this can triple the price of the rental once everything offered is accepted: basic CDW (always incl in Italy), super or zero deductible CDW, extra liability, roadside assistance, tires and glass, theft from vehicle, medical coverage for occupants-- easily triple the price if you are offered and accept all the permutations of insurance that are sometimes offered.

Posted by
3592 posts

We always decline everything but the required insurance for Italy and rely, instead on our Chase cc. We have had to make claims twice, and they were handled promptly, with no hassle.

I did look into the optional, “no deductible” coverage at one time; and it was (a) very expensive and (b) not what it appeared to be. Windows, tires, and undercarriage were excluded. Whatever you choose, read the provisions carefully. That applies to relying on your cc, as well.
The best deal going, in my opinion, is the Amex Premium insurance; however, it excludes Italy and a few other countries. For a flat rate, around $25, you get up to 42 days of real no deductible coverage. They put the claim into dispute, so you pay nothing up front.

Posted by
797 posts

In addition to insurance, don't forget that an IDP is required in Italy. If you don't have one, the insurance coompany can, and likely will, void your policy for not being a properly licensed driver.

Posted by
4511 posts

coompany can, and likely will, void your policy for not being a properly licensed driver.

This is one of the things that gets repeated on this forum, and is almost certainly false. There are reasons for having an IDP in Italy, but insurance isn't one of them.

Posted by
4511 posts

won't accept any insurance from a credit card.

I've never had credit card insurance not accepted. I always bring the policy printed out, but have never needed it.

But to this poster's Italy instance, since the credit card is only covering the deductible, that will always be acceptable to the agency-- no doubt.

Posted by
1 posts

I have read the fine print via all my travel credit cards. So far I cannot find any that covers liability to cover any damage I could cause to another car. I agree car rental insurance is a must but still trying to find the liability coverage!

Posted by
4511 posts

lenoblelba2:

Liability is the OWNER'S responsibility, so it is always provided by the owner of the car, and built into the rental rate. Many times, if not usually, there is an option to purchase additional liability from the rental car agency, but I think this is just a scam. Really wish I could find out the answer, but resigned that I never will.