Please sign in to post.

Car rental insurance

So we are going to bite the bullet and rent a car for 2 days in France. I am looking at Auto Europe as they seem to have the best prices. I have a question about insurance packages. The one I'm looking at has a basic package that doesn't include theft protection and colision damage waiver. They offer a package with that, but it more then doubles the price (from $130 to 310). Should it be something I really worry about for 2 days? Cross our fingers and hope for the best? We are going to be up in Caen/Mont St Michel area (if we can figure out how to get out of Paris!). Any thoughts?

Posted by
2876 posts

As one of my attorney pals always says, "you can never have too much insurance."

Posted by
7209 posts

American Express Card Holders can sign up for a Rental Car Coverage for a low (forget exact $ amount) 1 time charge per rental. If you do that then the entire vehicle is covered at $0 deductible.

Posted by
12172 posts

I used the AmEx option on our last car rental. If it works for you, it's definitely the cheapest option. As usual, I turned the car in without a scratch - so didn't need insurance - but it's never smart to rent a car without it, the potential downside is too big.

Posted by
7209 posts

It's also happened to us that we put a small scratch on the bumper (from dragging the luggage out) and that "small" scratch turned into a 500Chf charge. To me the AMEX coverage was by far the easiest, fullest coverage, most cost-effective method of renting a car. Of course that DOES mean that you have to use your AMEX to charge the car rental payment so you'll be hit with the Foreign Transaction Fee.

Posted by
2297 posts

Check with the insurance offered by your credit card. Many will include this protection if you pay the car rental in full with that cc. CIBC Aerogold does it even in Italy (one of the more complicated cases ...) but for France it's pretty standard that most visa offered by Canadian banks should cover you. We had to test out ours after we scraped the rental car in Italy (100% our fault). CIBC Visa covered everthing, there was no deductible for us.

Posted by
3941 posts

I actually mentioned to my husband about the Amex and then he pulls out one of the things they always send when you get a new card - lo and behold - car rental insurance info! So now I just have to wade thru the jargon and figure it out.

Posted by
9363 posts

A recent poster on another thread about car insurance here said that he used the Amex coverage, had a significant accident, and will be on the hook for about $1400, due to things that the insurance did not cover. The post is in this section of the Helpline, called "AMEX Premium Car Rental Protection in Europe vs CDW".

Posted by
3941 posts

I gave amex a call today (we already have a platinum amex - so are paying a fee now) to let them know when we'd be out of the country and to ask about renting - he told me it was no extra fee, to refuse the collision damage waiver they offer when renting a car, and it covered a car up to $75,000...so hopefully it will be a non-issue, but thanks to the folks who recommended checking out the cc ins - I had never even thought of that...and off I go to rent the car!