Please sign in to post.

Car Rental Insurance

My United States car insurance tells me it covers me anywhere in the World. DO I still have to buy additional insurance in England? Germany? Italy? Thanks for any help you can give.

Posted by
922 posts

My first thought is check very carefully to discover what it actually covers, and if you did have to make a claim what are the odds they would drop you afterwards like a hot potato. Then you will be up a creek having to pay big $$ extra to get another insurer (speaking here from personal experience). Weigh that possibility against the cost of buying the extra insurance for your trip.

Posted by
9363 posts

I have never heard of a US auto insurance company that covers you worldwide. And I believe that Italy requires you to get rental insurance at the counter (might be wrong about that).

Posted by
32198 posts

Brad, You may find it helpful to download the free PDF Car Rental guide at GEMUT. One of the points they mention regarding rental car insurance in Italy: "In both Italy and Israel, CDW and theft coverage must be purchased from the rental company. Some credit cards offer coverage in Italy, but it means nothing because all major rental car companies require the purchase of CDW and theft insurance." As someone else mentioned, it would be a good idea to be very clear on the terms and limitations of the "worldwide" insurance that your insurance firm is offering. Happy travels!