Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Tuscany

I am looking for advice from anyone who has rented a car in Tuscany. We will be wanting one fro 4-5 days, and I willNOT be around any large cities. Any advice will be appreciated. thanks, Jeff Masters

Posted by
10344 posts

Tuscany is a large area. To give advice that will help you, we need to know where you will be. Get back to us on that and we'll look forward to helping you. Thank you.

Posted by
277 posts

At this time I am leaning toward the area from Montelcino/Montepulciano south to Orvieto in Umbria. Thanks

Posted by
10344 posts

Jeff: Where will you be coming from? as you arrive in the Tuscany area? this affects where the best place is for you to pick up the car.

Posted by
361 posts

Jeff,
We trained from Rome to Chiusi (Tuscany) and picked up our rental car there. We stayed in an agriturismo (La Crociona) near Montalcino and toured wineries in Brunello area, Pienza, Montpulciano and Volterra then dropped off our car in La Spezia and continued on to CT by train. It worked really well as we were able to find parking inside hilltowns or very nearby. If you use Chiusi as your pick up point be aware of where in town that the rental offices are located and their open hours. The Hertz office was across the road from the train station. The Avis office(that we used) was very difficult to find, quite a hike with our backpacks and closed for lunch hour. That said, the staff was very helpful and gave us great directions to Montalcino. Travel by car was very easy, offered more flexibilty and the best scenery we ever seen. Be sure to read and comprehend the directions in RS book re: toll roads/payment etc. and to get your international drivers certificate before you go. Buon Viaggio, Sherry

Posted by
277 posts

We will be coming from Florence and were thinking of trying to find a car in Sienna. Advice on better places to find a car, or better prices,routes,cars,ECT....

Posted by
71 posts

We rented a car when we left Siena, toured Tuscany and then returned the car to Siena. We rented from Hertz which was located near the train station and more importantly outside of the Walls.

Rick