Please sign in to post.

Car Rental in Tuscany

We will be staying in Florence a few days and then renting a car for two weeks at an agriturismo in Tuscany. I think we will probably be renting through AutoEurope. A couple of questions: 1) I do NOT want to drive in Florence and I know there are several pick up sites in the area. On the other hand, I don't want to pick up and return the car too far from Florence since when we return the car we will have to be making train connections the same day. Will AutoEurope be able to advise us of the best location or does anyone here have a suggestion?
2) How important is an international drivers license? What are the advantages and disadvantages? Thanks for your help!

Posted by
2876 posts

International Driving Permits are mandatory in Italy. Just go to your local AAA office to get one. You'll be charged $15-$20, the cost seems to vary from one AAA office to another. Don't go to Italy without one. Same for anyone else in your party who might be taking the wheel.

Posted by
360 posts

I used AutoEurope and they were very good the location on Via Borgognissanti is convenient for heading out of Florence through tuscany it's not far from the train station an International Driver's License is recommended but not mandatory
check with AutoEurope's policies

Posted by
33549 posts

I must disagree with previous comments which said that "an International Driver's License is recommended but not mandatory". There is no such animal (there are some sold with that name which no legal standing but they are useless) as an International Driver's License. The required document is an "International Driving Permit" and it is required by Italian law for (Non EU) visiting drivers. The previous poster may never have been asked for it by police - perhaps she never triggered a police intervention - but I can assure you that it is most definitely legally required. If you are stopped by the Italian police of whichever flavour, and have a look at Ron In Rome's website for information on that, for whatever reason, or if you should have the misfortune to need to call them, they will require all the car's papers, and your home drivers license and a valid IDP. Failure to produce any of those may result in a fine, a trip to the hoosegow or worse. Some car rental operatives will ask to see it, some won't. They are not the ones which should have you quaking in your shoes, its the police. Italy has many many levels and flavours of police and almost all of them can stop you and demand papers, without cause. OK, end of sermon.
Those were the advantages of having an IDP - i.e., keeping your backside out of stir. The disadvantages, as asked? The only two I can think of are that you have to get you to a AAA office and splash out the $15 or whatever and a photo; and its one more piece of paper to keep track of.

Posted by
360 posts

according to AutoEuropes website
"an international driver's license is strongly recommended for rentals in Italy"

Posted by
78 posts

OK - for $15 it sounds like a no brainer --- We'll each get a license/permit!

Posted by
360 posts

I stand corrected and apologize
last time I rented from Autoeurope Intl Drivers permit/license was not required or requested and their website still says it is not mandatory

Posted by
3696 posts

I would pick up and drop off the car at the Florence airport. Just be careful that you do not get lost and drive into the city...just head for the freeway, its right there and very easy. Same for the return.
I have rented a ton of time in Europe and for many years did not have the permit and was never asked. Now I do have it and have never been asked...just peace of mind for $15 especially since it is required.

Posted by
121 posts

Never got a international DL and never been asked for it, but then never been pulled over by the police, so hard to say if you need it or not. P/U the car by the train station and get a GPS. That will get you a pass out of town. Enjoy your trip.