Please sign in to post.

car rental in Italy

My husband and I are trying to decide whether to rent a car in Florence or Bologna. We are meeting some people in Portico di Romagna on Sept. 17th. We are comparing flying into Florence and renting a car at the airport, or flying into Bologna and renting a car there. Which one is easier?

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks so much for the great information. I think we'll get the car in Bologna.

Posted by
15144 posts

I passed through Portico a few times on my way from Florence to the Adriatic coast in Romagna. It's probably faster from Bologna, although it might be closer to Florence. if you go from Florence you must go through the city traffic along the Viali (boulevards) then take the Via Aretina to Pontassieve etc. From Bologna airport it's easier.
See what the difference in airfare is. If Bologna offers comparable airfares, I'd go to Bologna.

Posted by
32198 posts

Michele, If you decide to rent a car, be sure that EACH driver has the compulsory International Driver's Permit. You'll also have to be VERY careful to avoid the dreaded Zona Traffico Limitato areas, which are prevalent in many towns in Italy ( especially Florence!). EACH PASS through one of the automated Cameras will result in a hefty fine, which you won't know about until several months after you return home. Happy travels!