Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Ireland

My wife and I are planning a trip to Ireland in September. As part of the trip we want to rent a car for 14 days. The cost for a compact automatic transmission car in nearly $3,600. Does anyone have any advice on reducing the cost of car rental in Ireland?

Posted by
2813 posts

Take a look at the autoeurope.ie website. Can sometimes find better prices there.

Posted by
740 posts

Now, as for the cost of a driver . . . .

Posted by
2303 posts

Car rental in Ireland has always been very expensive, due to the insurance. But car rental in general is up all over the world this year due to fewer cars being produced (and probably opportunistic price gauging). I’ve been watching rates for and upcoming trip and they have been 4 times what we’ve paid previously.

If you’ve checked all the usual sites (Sixt, AutoEurope, etc) and all the prices are similar, you might reconsider your itinerary and take public transport between some of the cities. Also look into guided day trips from the cities to see some of the outlying areas. With a car rental rate of over $250/day, you could instead pay for day trips for less. You can then decide where you REALLY need the car, and rent for a shorter time.

Posted by
72 posts

We are going to Ireland next year and are going to hire a chauffer to take us around Ireland for 11 days. Cost which includes lodgings is 4500 Euros each