Please sign in to post.

car rental in Ireland

I asked this on another forum but am looking for more answers. We're renting a car in Ireland for 3 weeks in April. Best company to rent from? Will my credit card cover CDW insurance? What's unique about Ireland renting? I know the small roads, driving on the left, etc. Thanks for help. Julia

Posted by
9369 posts

As I said in this same question in To The North, I don't think there is any credit card that covers rental insurance in Ireland anymore (and I wouldn't trust it anyway). The best company, in my opinion, is the one that gives you the best price. As, I have said before, somebody can tell you a horror story about any company you can name. And as I said your other post, the unique thing about driving there (which is why no one covers rentals there) is that you are more likely to get into a minor accident, because roads are narrow. You aren't going to be able to gauge how close you are to the stone walls on either side because you aren't used to the left-side orientation.

Posted by
26 posts

A couple years ago we used Budget in Dublin (City Center). Actually a little ways from the center of town, but only about 5 mins by cab. Good rates, and the counter staff were very friendly and helpful. Check with your own auto insurance co. and see if you would be covered for rental cars overseas. My carrier covers this, but YMMV. I don't know how the rental companies there compare with one another - we only used Budget. Go for price and get the smallest car you can get by with - gas is spendy! We had a Mazda 3 that got 40 MPG. It's a beer can on wheels, but it was all we needed. Many (if not most) of the compacts and subcompacts come with manual transmissions. The pedals are configured the same as in US, but you shift with your left hand. Takes some getting used to. Ireland by car is the most practical, as the country has limited rail. Armed with a good map, you will discover some really cool, out-of-the-way places and meet great people. Watch out on those narrow, winding back roads - they often lack shoulders to pull off on, and you may pop over a hill only to encounter the surprise farm tractor, herd of sheep, tour bus, lorry, etc. Go slow and enjoy the sights! Have a fun trip!

Posted by
2429 posts

You will get opposing comments as to the best company, check out prices first. I really liked Dan Dooley but there are others who didn't. Out of 10 responses, you may get five for one company and five for another. That said, I don't think any credit card company covers CDW in Ireland.

Posted by
1358 posts

Most credit card companies won't touch rental cars in Ireland. World Mastercard does, but I couldn't get anyone to give me specifics on the coverage, so I opted to go with the CDW. And just FYI, you'll need either the super CDW or an outside excess coverage plan to cover the deductible, usually somewhere around 1100-1500 euro.

Posted by
68 posts

Try County Car out of the Dublin airport. Least expensive option I found and they had an automatic for this left hand driver. World Mastercard may cover the CDC in Ireland, but definately check with them.

Posted by
143 posts

Thank you all so much. This helpline is invaluable! Julia