Please sign in to post.

Car rental in France

We will be renting a car in Nice and would like to return it somewhere near Sarlat and take the train from there to Paris. It appears that the Bordeaux train station would be the most likely place to turn in the car.

Suggestions please.

Sherman

Posted by
313 posts

Unless you just want to go to Bordeaux, there are lots of other places closer to drop a car and catch a train. I know Perigueux has an Avis and is on a major train line. I'd check Brive-la-Gaillarde, as well, and possibly even Sarlat. These are not tiny villages. Pick your car rental company and see if they have locations in the smaller towns where you can drop the car.

Posted by
9110 posts

There's a Hertz place in Grive-la-Gaillarde that's about a mile and a half from the train station (they'll tote you). That's at least an hour closer, but Bordeaux is a lot more interesting.

Edit for two more thoughts:

Check train times from Bordeaux to Paris vice the other cities. The over-all trip might be shorter. If I tried to look it up, it'd probably be wrong since I'm not a train person.

Getting across the river/estuary into Bordeaux can be a pain in the tail if you're not used to it.

TIM !!!

Posted by
4132 posts

Add Angouleme to the list of places to look into.

It may be slightly farther but is on the TGV line.

Posted by
8700 posts

Sherman,

The Auto Europe site shows drop-off points at the train stations in Brive-la-Gaillarde and Angouleme.

According to viamichelin.com, driving from Sarlat to Brive-la-Gaillarde will take a little over one hour. Corail Teoz trains make the trip from there to Paris in around four hours.

It will take a little under three hours to drive from Sarlat to Angouleme. TGVs make the trip from there to Paris in around 2 1/2 hours.

It will take 2 1/2 hours to drive from Sarlat to Bordeaux. TGVs make the trip from there to Paris in around 3 1/2 hours.