Please sign in to post.

Car rental in France

I have heard that returning a rental car in a different country invokes a large fee. How about returning in a different city? We want to rent in Marseille and return closer to Spain... to shorten our train ride to Barcelona. Is that possible and, if so, can someone recomment the car rental company? Thanks for your help. Carrie

Posted by
3696 posts

Each car rental company differs and the same as in the US you get different prices on different days. I have done this and always found a company that did not charge an extra fee for in-country drop off. But, some do, it all depends. I call them all, and also go on priceline. I make a reservation (never prepaid) for the best deal that day and then I keep checking right up until the time I leave. If I find a better deal...cancel the first one.
also, I check the weekly rate even if I am not staying a week, versus the rate for the number of days and if the weekly is cheaper I book it and just return it early.

Posted by
705 posts

Consider AutoEurope.com. They are a broker located in Maine so its easy to telephone on their toll-free line and get your questions answered.

Posted by
875 posts

I used EuropCar in France and did not encounter any extra charges for drop-off in a different city.

Posted by
53 posts

We used Avis last yearrented in Calais, Franceand then dropped off the car in Caen, France. Other than having a bit of a problem finding the drop off location in Caenwe didn't seem to have any problems with returning to a different location.

Posted by
931 posts

Carrie, Gemut and AutoEurope are two wonderful brokers that handle all of the majors in the EU. Go to the AE website and play with the pick-up and drop off locations. We always pick-up in one town and drop off in another. If you play with all of your options, you will find it is more expensive to pick up in an airport or train station, but the drop-off location (if in the same country) usually does not affect the price. If you have any questions just give them a calll.

Posted by
1446 posts

To provide you with the widest choices of rental car companies (competing prices & conditions), try pricing the car with the return in Perpignan, by the train station.