Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Europe

Wondering if anyone has had this experience? I went on http://www.argusrentals.com/, a broker, and looked at rates for a 9 passenger van for 9 days. The website asks for your country of residence, the default being the UK. The rate if you pick UK is ~$648 US and if you pick the United States as country of residence, the rate is $1,375. I went ahead and booked it with UK rate, checking the UK box even though I don't live there. I did get a voucher for the van thru. Europcar and my Visa has been charge.

Posted by
3313 posts

Ah, but did you check which side of the van has the steering wheel? ;)

Posted by
2876 posts

When you pick up the car, be sure to show them your UK drivers license. :)

Posted by
7209 posts

I compared prices on www.autoeurope.com and www.autoeurope.eu and the european website prices were much lower and included 0 deductible insurance. I booked via the european website and had no problems when I presented them my Tennessee Drivers License.

Posted by
3 posts

Tim, Thanks for the info. Do you recall how much less the car rental was? In my case it is greater than 50% cheaper. Jim

Posted by
1064 posts

I have heard of this before, but it still does not make sense. Why would they charge a resident of the UK IN U.S. dollars?

Posted by
711 posts

I had been trying to rent a car in Amsterdam to drive for a week around the bulb fields in Lisse and the prices were horrible. 3 times what they should be. This is what I did. I called the Avis office in Amsterdam and got a wonderful gentleman who spoke perfect English and received a great rate with all insurance. It was one third of the rate on the internet.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks Jane, that is very useful information.