Please sign in to post.

Car Rental France

I am reading (2011 France Book) that rental car insurance obtained via Travel Guard isn't available to residents of Washington State. Do state Insurance Regulations disallow this? Is this coverage available from other Insurance carriers (eg Access America). What is the best way to insure a rental car in France?
Bill in Seattle

Posted by
2876 posts

If you have an American Express card, you can enroll in their premium rental car insurance program. You get first dollar coverage against theft & damage for only $24.95 per rental. It's a very good deal, but be sure to read the fine print about the documentation you'll need in case you have a claim. Details here: http://tinyurl.com/6m6dmp2 Alternatively, the most hassle free - but also by far the most expensive - coverage is to buy "super CDW" from the rental car company. Most Visa and Mastercard plans have some rental car protection too. You'll have to check the benefits of your particular card(s).

Posted by
811 posts

i carry a capital one card that has rental car insurance, so i just use that for rental car when i rented in france and germany.

Posted by
931 posts

I live in Oregon. Looking at some of my past travel insurance policies, I see that CDW (collision) is not covered in Ore and Texas. I don't why, but I do know what I do about the problem. I use my VISA to cover the parts of the rental car insurance that is not covered by their basic policy. (Bodily injury and property damage to others IS usually covered by the auto rental policy. ) Many other people just shell out the extra $$$ and buy "super CDW", but I use my VISA to cover Collision and Theft (it has no deductable; ie covers all of your losses, but you have to refuse any CDW provided by the rental agency to ensure that your VISA policy will be "primary".) Super CDW thru the rental agency is the easiest way to go, but can add up quick. To keep my costs down last year I rented my car thru AutoEurope.EU, rather that AE.com (AE.com and Gemut are awesome brokers here is the states.) Both quotes were almost the same$$, but the AE.EU policy included complete coverage: the rental included sales taxes, AP fee,liability,fire, personal accident insur. CDW and theft,and had "zero excess"(no out of pocket $) The "zinger": the EU policy included an extra $100EU charge to fill the car up and "bring it back empty", and there was a $38 drop off fee. But all in all, I saved a lot $$ and had pretty good insurance. Gemut also has a some good advice on rental cars:
http://www.gemut.com/car-rental/921-twelve-tips-for-renting-a-car-in-germany-and-europe.html

Posted by
192 posts

Beware Capital one cards have now EXCLUDED the VAT portion of any damage claim this can be more than 20%