Please sign in to post.

Car rental

Hello,
My husband and I are staying in London at the Radisson Blu Vanderbilt hotel and would like to rent a car upon check out on Sunday, Oct. 20th. We are wanting to travel in the Cotswolds, then return to London on the 24th, where we would then take the train from London to Paris. Where would be the best and easiest pick up and return place to rent the car? Thanks!

Posted by
20980 posts

The Eurostar departs from St Pancras Station. Their website lists Avis location there. They also have a location at Ebbsfleet Station east of London on the south bank of the Thames between Dartford and Gravesend. There are 16 trains a day weekday from St Pancras, but only 5 stop at Ebbsfleet.

Posted by
8308 posts

E-Mail your hotel to see where the nearest car rental is to them. That's the easiest and fastest answer to your question.

Posted by
9110 posts

Hertz, Europcar, and Sixt all have places sort of on the northwest side of Victoria Station. It's a couple of miles from where I think the hotel is, so you probably wouldn't want to walk it with your junk. The Circle Line would be the one to use. Headed west, you'd be clear of the congestion zone. Getting out of town is essentially the A4/M4 until you hit the beltway. Getting back in could be sporty since London isn't the easiest place to drive if you're not used to it. Optionally, you could hop the train out to Reading and drive from there. I think it leaves from Paddington Station which is about the same distance away across Hyde Park, if so, you'd also use the Circle Line, but in the other direction. Budget and Avis are fairly close to the station. There's also a Reading West station that you can get to from Paddington Station - - that's not where you want to go since it's too far from the rental agencies.

Posted by
9110 posts

David and I were composing at the same time. I don't like his idea since it's going to be a back-and-forth about which agency (some you've never heard of). I just checked the hotel's location I was off by fifty yards. It's a two-minute walk to the Gloucester Road tube station and from there not a ten-minute ride to either Victoria or Paddington stations. If it were I and I didn't like the first idea I gave, I'd wait until I got there and then ask the hotel people since the exchange is much more simple. You can then internet the reservation from the lobby (or for that matter from the lobby of the rental office) and still get the same rate as if you did it from home today. What you don't want to do is walk up to the counter and start from there. I'm pretty good with cars and the tube. I'm wide open to shots from anybody on the rail connections.

Posted by
9110 posts

St Pancras Station is exactly on the edge of the congestion zone. Returning the car, you just about have to skirt the darn thing very carefully coming in from the west. One wrong turn going along Euston/Marylebone or following some nutty GPS routing will leave you digging in your wallet when the mail eventually shows up. I guess you could probably get out okay if you tell yourself never to make a southward turn (assuming you can tell rough compass directions in a strange city). The Piccadilly Line is a non-changer from Gloucester Road.

Posted by
33556 posts

The Congestion Charge is a non-issue on a Sunday so no worries there. I would base from whom I take the car on where I can return it in the Thursday, near KX-St Pancras. What time is your Eurostar on the Thursday? That will make a huge difference in traffic, which can be diabolical in London on a work day. Yesterday it rained in London. Yes, but it really hasn't much for a few months. I had to take a bus from the West End to an address in Grays Inn Road, not a million miles from KX-St Pancras. The traffic simply didn't move. It took just over an hour to go about 3 miles. I could have walked it and arrived early enough to have the cup of coffee I misses before I arrived. If you are new to English driving I might suggest to rent and return from Heathrow as it is on the motorway network and both the Heathrow Express/Connect and the Underground (no changes on the Underground from Heathrow to KX-St Pancras - about an hour) are pretty reliable and don't get stuck in traffic. Also, if you need an automatic shift because you drive a big automatic American car you may find a better chance of an automatic at the airport. Yes, maybe slightly higher prices at the airport but you may get a better choice.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank you everyone!! This info really helps! Still not sure what we are going to do. Initially we were going to take a train from London to like Moreton in marsh and then try to rent a car there, but the train was going to be about 80GBP per person, so I thought we would just rent the car in London. But now it seems it's just going to be kind of a hassle. ??

Posted by
33556 posts

but the train was going to be about 80GBP per person, Where in the world did you get that price, Angela? Now maybe you want to get into London very early on the 24th/10 - take the 8:11 or later from Moreton in Marsh on the return for the cheapest fares, you can do the trip on the Sunday (anytime) and return as above on the 24th for an Off-Peak Period Return (formerly know as Saver) for £37.50 per person. Even if it had been peak singles both ways (can't be on a Sunday), it would have been £33 pp each way. Are you looking at First Class or are you looking at some third party?