Please sign in to post.

car rental

I am looking to rent a car in Italy for 31 days. We do have experience in the "rental nightmare department" and want to make sure it doesn't happen again. I have gotten quotes from $950+ to over 1800+ I know it'll vary based on coverages. Hertz offers CDW and theft, but I understand that PDW (physical Damage waiver)is not included, but mandatory at $7.00-$9.00@ day. Amex no longer does insurance coverage in Europe. Does anyone know for sure if PDW is always a mandatory "extra"? Peugeot has a pretty good rental program, but they charge $275 EACH WAY (which they don't really explain well) for pick-up/drop-off in Rome, which substantially adds to the lease cost. Any help out there? This is driving me crazy!

Posted by
850 posts

When I recently checked with Amex they said they still do the cdw but not if the car is rented in Italy or Ireland. If rented in Germany for example they do provide cdw even if you were to drive into Italy. Just not if you originate the rental in Italy.
For 31 days you may want to check on the Renault or Pugeot buy back with all insurance included plus you get a new car. You may have to originate the lease in France however. Not sure about that but a little research would tell you or someone may weigh in who knows for sure.

Posted by
1358 posts

Go to "Transportation" on the Graffiti Wall home page. Then click on "Driving Europe Crazy" to read about leasing and renting cars.

I have negotiated the drop charge with the rental agent when I took the car. Some times he will give you a break if you ask.

I have had one who paid the ferry fee when I moved to another island because I asked.

And one who upgraded me free to a station wagon because I asked when there were 4 of us and had a lot of luggage.

I have learned that you never know what you can get until you ask.

Posted by
320 posts

Judith:

I would echo what the other poster said about leasing. I have done that twice through Renault USA and the results were great each time. 1) You get a brand new car; 2) The lease fee is all inclusive (rental, insurance, etc) - no $$ surprises; 3) the service is wonderful.

Renault will charge a delivery and drop off charge for not picking up or dropping off the car in France but it is still loads cheaper than a rental car in Italy for a month.

We leased a Twingo (just the two of us) - tiny reliable car. Later when we took the two kids we leased a Kangoo - that was the perfect travel vehicle - small, comfortable, loads of storage and great mileage. Have fun.

Posted by
10226 posts

You should definitely look into leasing. You have to make the arrangements several months in advance if I remember correctly (I leased summer of '06). I went through Auto Europe. The price included everything. We picked it up in Frankfurt (already had purchased our plane tickets) so we had to pay a little extra. We dropped it off in France with no additional charge. For a rental over 17 days I wouldn't do it any other way.