Please sign in to post.

car rental

I guess I have a couple of questions. My family of four will be in Lucerne, Switzerland soon and must travel to Munich and back over a weekend. What is the best mode of transport? If a car is best, what is the best way to rent one? Thank you.

Posted by
32328 posts

Chris, My preference would be to travel by train on that route. If you plan to spend most of your time sightseeing in Munich, you'd have to pay for parking for a vehicle you weren't using. I'd probably use a departure from Lucerne at 08:10, arriving Munich at 13:29 (time 5H:19M, one quick change in Zürich). I'm not sure that travel by car would be much / any faster. It may be possible to buy discounted tickets, and hopefully Lee or one of the others will be able to offer a few suggestions on that. Happy travels!

Posted by
317 posts

I have to second what Ken said - take the train. Especially if you plan on sightseeing once you get to Munich - at that point the car just becomes a hassle. Munich has fantastic public transport, and you can get just about anywhere you'd want to using it.

Posted by
2 posts

Thank for the excellant suggestion!

Posted by
19240 posts

If you book through the German Rail (Bahn) website, you can get Europa-Spezial fares for as low as €39/adult, one way between Luzern and Munich. Any of your own children under 15 would go free. Those advance purchase discount fares are popular and the least expensive ones sell out soon after going on sale 92 days in advance. Right now, for July 12, I can see €59/adult fares for that 8:10 connection.