Please sign in to post.

Car Rental

We will be in France for about a month this spring, arriving and departing from two different cities. Any advice on car rental for that time period?

Posted by
2876 posts

My advice would be to look into leasing. If you want a car for a month, leasing is usually cheaper than renting, plus you get a brand-new car, full insurance coverage, and 24/7 roadside assistance. And you don't have to worry about CDW, Super CDW, all that fun stuff. Both Renault & Peugeot have programs. http://renaultusa.com/ http://www.peugeot-openeurope.com/presentation-926/ Both programs are well-established. We've leased from Renault 3 times and never had any problem.

Posted by
1022 posts

Leasing works for some people, but I've never gotten the lease numbers to work as well for me as renting. My advice is to shop around and compare the options. Sixt often doesn't show up on search engines like kayak.com so check Sixt separately.

Posted by
8307 posts

At 3 weeks, you go to leasing in France. The two above programs are very good, and professional.

Posted by
1022 posts

Whenever this subject comes up and someone says leasing is the way to go, I think well, maybe I've missed something. So I ran a comparison again using arbitrary dates and locations for the Spring, picking up at CDG 4-01 and returning at NCE 4-30, compact car. Peugeot 308 lease $1484 (sweet car, I drove one from Sixt for 3 weeks) Renault Grand Modus $1504 Alamo compact (same class) $1194. I can cover the first dollar insurance with American Express on the rental period for $25, making the rental total $1219.
Sixt has a better deal on the 308 class for $900 if 2500 miles is an acceptable limitation on mileage. The numbers will vary depending upon your car class, travel dates and locations. But that sample range is consistent with what I've seen the times we've rented in France.

Posted by
33553 posts

if 2500 miles is an acceptable limitation on mileage. miles or km? There is a big difference...

Posted by
12313 posts

Leasing gets you the exact car and the price includes full CDW. Renting gets you a "class" of car but no one offers a specific car, full CDW can often cost as much as the rental. I've done both. Leasing seemed to pay off when I needed a larger car for the whole family, renting seems to work better when it's just DW and I in the smallest car possible.

Posted by
1022 posts

"Renting gets you a "class" of car but no one offers a specific car, full CDW can often cost as much as the rental." Yes, if you are particular about getting a specific make and model, leasing provides that. But all I want is something to get us and our luggage comfortably around in. CDW indeed can cost an arm and a leg if bought from the rental company, which is why I pay $25 to American Express for full cover for the rental period.