Please sign in to post.

Can I get from Amsterdam to Rome for under 200 usd?

Im trying to find a way either by train or air or both to get from Amsterdam to Rome roundtrip for under 200 dollars. Is this possible. Seems the trains are even more than airfare right now.

Posted by
32219 posts

Lance,

Your best bet on that route is a budget flight with EasyJet from CDG to FCO (which commences on 2 November). However, when you book the flight will be critical, as the prices generally increase as the flight fills.

I checked the rates today, and they have flights listed in early November for €70.99 (one way), including all taxes and fees. At the current exchange rate (which I just updated a few minutes ago), two flights would cost you about US$215.

Of course there will be extra costs for travel to and from the airports. The Leonardo Express in Rome is about €11 each way, and the costs for travel to CDG will vary depending on which method you use.

As with any European airlines, be sure to PACK LIGHT and keep in mind that they generally only allow ONE carry-on item of the approved size and weight. If you have lots of luggage, you'll have to contend with overweight baggage fees.

Happy travels!

Posted by
7570 posts

To Ken's credit, I think he meant AMS (Amsterdam Schipol) rather than CDG (Paris, Charles DeGaulle). EasyJet flies direct and it fits your budget with little hassle/cost getting to the airport. Another option would be to get to Eindhoven and catch a Ryanair flight for "Free"; of course taxes and fees alone will bring that to 45 or 50 Euro plus the cost of getting to Eindhoven. Depends how much hassle you want to endure to save a few Euro.

Posted by
15116 posts

Easyjet is the way to go from Amsterdam to Rome. You don't say when you want to go but if you carry-on, you might even be able to do this for around $100.

I'm also guessing Ken meant AMS.

Posted by
19100 posts

There is a CNL night train leaving Munich and going via Brenner Pass to Rome. Right now, for late November, I found fares of €23 for a seat, €39 couchette 6, €49 couchette 4, and €79 Single Economy sleeper. There are also all sorts of ICE and ICE/IC connections from Amsterdam to Munich for €39.

So, if you didn't mind reclining seats you could do it for €62 or about $93. Or you could ride the ICE during the day to Munich and have a sleeper to Rome for €118 ($176).

These tickets are available online from the Bahn

Posted by
2 posts

We have carryon in US standards but weighing 40 lbs so may be problem with easyjet. Plus we are leaving on the 21st October before their flight starts.

The train sounds fun, sounds like there is a place for 4? Are those beds? Will have to look into that one.

Posted by
19100 posts

A couchette 4 is a compartment with 4 "bunks". They are not full beds with sheets, just a padded slab with a blanket. They put you with strangers if you are by yourself and often mix genders, but you could reserve the entire compartment if there are four of you. People are expected to sleep in their clothes. It's just a place to lie down.

I didn't realize you were traveling so soon. These tickets, like low cost airline tickets, are limited in quantity at the lowest prices and do sell out (they might already be for such a short time ahead), so you should book ASAP.

Posted by
7570 posts

John brings up a good point, buses are rarely mentioned as a cheap form of travel, but they are cheap and there are many long haul private bus lines between major cities and into Eastern Europe.

Posted by
1014 posts

He is leaving on the 21, hence the higher price.