Please sign in to post.

Buying Oyster card at Heathrow?

Hello, I think the Oyster Card makes sense for us based on our planned travel in London in June. I watched Rick's video about buying the Oyster Card and it looks pretty simple. I am wondering how quick is it to purchase them at Heathrow? Are there multiple machines? Are there long lines? We want to have it to get from Heathrow to our hotel (and then for several days).. My other alternative is to order them and have them sent to me in the US - but shipping takes time and money...( I don't think we need it to be a Visitor Card for their discounts.) Thank you!

Posted by
1287 posts

We purchased ours at the manned counter at the entrance to the underground. (It is next to the visitor's counter. There were lots of machines, but the line was short and we had never purchased them before. They worked great. At the end of our trip, we did use a machine to get our unused money and the cost of the card back. I would not hassle with ordering ahead. It's pretty easy to do at the airport. Lines will depend on how busy the airport is at the time you arrive. We arrived mid day, lots of incoming international flights but no delay in getting the cards. They are well worth the effort (and yes, you don't need a visitor's card. )

Posted by
1321 posts

It’s incredibly easy. I compare it to buying a soda at a vending machine. The lines aren’t long, although think of it as the office break room. You might get stuck behind a coworker who can’t decide between Pepsi or Dr Pepper, but the line does move quickly.

No need to order in advance

Posted by
8252 posts

I bought mine from the machine and it could not have been easier. There was no line, I just walked right up. It was right near the entrance to the underground at Heathrow.

Posted by
14800 posts

It will take you no time to purchase an Oyster Card at Heathrow. Your choice will be either the machine or the manned booth.

Don't buy the card ahead of time. Cards bought in the UK can be returned for a full refund of the 5 GBP deposit and whatever money is left on the card. You can't do that with cards ordered ahead of time.

The Oyster Card will save you money from the start.

Posted by
183 posts

As everyone else has said, piece of cake! The attendants in the manned booth are extremely friendly and helpful and will make sure you get the right card (Zones 1 and 2) with the extra fare for Heathrow being so far out added onto the card as will.

Posted by
3514 posts

There is no zone limit on Oyster cards, they work through every zone for the transit system. A Travel Card is restricted to specific zones and can be added to an Oyster. From my experiences, I don't get any additional savings from a Travel Card over a pay-as-you-go Oyster. The Oyster handles zones for you and you never pay more than the maximum capped amount per day no matter which zones you may stray into. Travel Cards require you to pay extra on the spot if you stray beyond the set zones. All that said, you probably won't go beyond zones 1 & 2 seeing most sights in London.

It takes less than 5 minutes to purchase an Oyster from the machine. If you have any issues, one of the manned windows will have someone who is very helpful and will make sure you get the correct card, for example if you have children they get a discount.

Posted by
78 posts

As discussed previously, the machines are incredibly easy to use and easy to find. When you transition down to the underground station at Heathrow they are all lined up and easy to see because the big yellow circle that is the Oyster Card symbol. I always leave London with money on my card and then can use it the next time I come back. I think it is a good choice and you don't have to worry about getting one until you get there.

Posted by
58 posts

Thank you all so much for your insights about the Oyster card! We will definitely wait until we get to Heathrow. One last question: If we want to load more money on the card can we add a small amount? Say 5 or 10 pounds? Thank you!

Posted by
7730 posts

If we want to load more money on the card can we add a small amount? Say 5 or 10 pounds? Thank you!

Yes you can there is no minimum. try to get rid of any coins the machine takes first