Please sign in to post.

Buying a Eurail pass

We are leaving for Europe in a week. Last minute adjustments to our schedule....we feel like we should buy a Eurail pass. We didn't realize it was a paper document and has to be sent. Can we still order it today online and get it shipped to us in time? The delivery is 2-3 days....do we trust it? Or can we buy a similar pass in person while in Europe?

Posted by
6788 posts

You cant get them in Europe. Railpasses are somewhat complicated - are you SURE you need one? Often times it's cheaper (much cheaper) just to buy point-to-point tickets, but it's impossible to say without knowing your specific plans.
You don't say where you are or who you have been in contact with about a railpass. But if I were you, I would call the Rick Steves HQ right now (literally, you don't have any time to waste) and first have them help you figure out if a railpass makes sense for you or not (it often does not!). If it does, they can sell you one and overnight it to you.
Hurry, you have no time to spare.

Posted by
7209 posts

Leave your (paper) Traveler's Cheques and Eurail Passes at home - they're both an outdated mode of travel. Use ATMs and just buy point to point tickets. You'll be glad you did on BOTH accounts.

Posted by
8375 posts

Cost Savings often goes to point to point tickets.
If you really want to travel first class and want a lot of flexibility, rail pass might give you better value.
Do be aware that rail passes for high speed trains in France still require expensive reservations in addition to the rail pass.

Many people on this forum say "never use rail passes" with scorn and disdain. I disagree. The secret is to decide if what they offer is what you want, or if you would be happier with point to point tickets which often offer less cost when purchased in advance.

Posted by
32746 posts

I almost never advocate a Eurail pass any longer, but if you have decided that is what you want then you need to find out how to get it.

Since you have given very little information in your question post, Mary, I don't think anybody here can read your mind as far as what trips you plan to be able to guide you - and it is now probably far too late because if you are getting the pass you are running rapidly out of time.

I expect that (most) any point to point train discounts will have evaporated by now so maybe a pass is best after the deals have gone.

As mentioned above, be sure to get those reservations in France and Italy if you are going there because if you need them on the trains you ride your Pass isn't valid without them and you will be treated as having no ticket with consequent very large fines and perhaps being put off the train.

Posted by
20085 posts

You can get it tomorrow if you pay the express delivery fee. From the Rail Pass purchase page:

The Shipping and Handling Fee is charged for bookings made on our website requiring physical shipment. The fee is: $18 (USD) for 2-3 business days delivery in the United States, $18 (CAD) to Canada and $35 (USD) to the Caribbean, Mexico or Central America. Rail Europe offers express overnight delivery in the United States for $36 (USD). Bookings over $449 (USD or CAD), receive free Shipping and Handling Fee for standard delivery.