Please sign in to post.

Buying a car in Europe

We will be in Europe (all over) for an extended time, spending a month or so in several different countries, and we are thinking of buying a car while there. If you have done this please give advice as to where what country you bought in, and your experience. Thank so much.

Posted by
10344 posts

Do you mean buying a car for use in the US, or do you mean "buying" it at the beginning of the trip and "selling it back" at the end of the trip, which is called leasing?

Posted by
525 posts

Do you plan on keeping the car are bringing it back to the states?
Auto Europe will "sell" you a car if you are in a country more than 18 days (if I remember correctly). You buy the car and when you are done you just turn it it and only costs like you are renting the car. It has been a few years since we've done this but it is like renting but cheaper. Look up the details on Auto Europe or other rental agencies. RS staff sometimes uses 1Car1 - office in New York. My husband and I used this company last year in England and had no problems. Make sure you find out what "zero" deductible is if you rent a car. It sometimes is NOT a "zero" deductible.

Posted by
2 posts

We have looked into leasing a car, and are considering it. This question, however, is about buying a used car from a private party and selling it to someone else at the end of our time there. If you have experience with this we would love advice.
Thank you.