Please sign in to post.

British Airways?

I'm looking at flights to London in early November. The best price I've found is $782 on British Airways or Iberia. The next cheapest flights is $894 on United. I have a friend who refuses to fly BA and I'm wondering how bad the airline is. Should I go with United over BA?

Posted by
2752 posts

We flew BA from Philly through LHR in 2010, and felt fine about putting our 20 year old twin sons on it last summer to go to Europe (same base flights from here to LHR). We are not seasoned travelers but we were quite happy with how we were treated on BA, a definite several steps up from USAir.
Any airline can have a specific flight that happens to suck.

Posted by
1265 posts

Dubs - I have flown BA a number of times from PHX - LHR without any problems. Have you asked your friend what his problem is with BA ?

Posted by
9 posts

Ridiculous delays, lost luggage...really that could be any airline. I thought I'd check to see if anyone else had a similar thoughts. I've only flown to Europe on Aer Lingus and Air France.

Posted by
908 posts

Except for when I was in high school and had no say in the matter, I've only ever flown BA to Europe. I've only once (knock wood) had a bag delayed. Generally, the cabin crew are nice and very efficient; every now and then you can tell a particular crew member really, really needs a break. But that can happen on any airline. Basically, I choose to fly BA because (1) my vacation starts at the gate when I hear the British accents, and (2) BA practically owns Heathrow so it seems like (probably just my perception) the airport is geared toward BA passengers.

Posted by
5570 posts

If you are flying out of Dulles, I think they are pretty much the same. On BA, you have to pay an additional fee ($38 each way) if you want to reserve a seat more than 24 hours in advance. On United, you can reserve a seat at no charge when you buy your ticket. On BA, they don't charge for alcohol. On United they do. I've taken both United and BA to London in the last year. I prefer United because they offer a morning flight from IAD which arrives in London on the same day. I love that flight since I don't have to lose a night of sleep. But other than that, I don't feel there is much difference.

Posted by
3211 posts

BA to London is our airline of choice, our favorite. We've flown BA many times. I have always obtained my seat of choice, aisle near exit, at the 24 hour pre-flight point. I find BA professional, courteous, efficient, and I like their planes. We also prefer their morning flight to London. I've only flown United domestically, and they were OK. AA is OK, but I don't particularly like their planes. Iceland Air, while no incidents, I do find the planes frightening, and the vendors at the airport will not give correct change, IMO. On the side, my daughter had a years worth of luggage at Charles Degaulle Airport, was late for her flight due to traffic issues--the one time she planned exact time-a lesson learned. However, BA had her rush to the gate, leaving her luggage in the middle of the check in line, at BA's assurance it would be fine. It naturally did not make the plane, but it arrived at our door, safe and sound, the day after she arrived...as they promised. Considering the size of the bag, I prefer this delivery service!

Posted by
91 posts

I've flown BA to London 3 times in the last 3 years and will do so again in 3 months. My only complaint with them is they always seem to threaten to strike when I have my vacation planned.

Posted by
1021 posts

Just flew BA RT DFW-LHR. Good service, decent food, pleasant staff (take note AA), no problems. BA uses Terminal 5 which is the newest and best at Heathrow.