Please sign in to post.

Boston to Paris and Rome to Boston at the end of August 2017

I finally decided on the RS Best of Europe 14 day tour at the end of Europe.

For Boston to Paris, we have the choice of Delta or Air France? Yes, I know Delta and AF code share but planes owned by both airlines leave from Boston. Other than on Jet Blue I am usually miserably uncomfortable on most flights. Price is similar. Any opinions on which I should pick?

The only non-stop from Rome to Boston is Alitalia which just entered bankruptcy for I think the 3rd time although I believe the Italian government has given them a loan which would get them thru this period. Would I be crazy to book a code-shared flight with them thru either Air France or Delta? The other viable option is Air France thru Paris.

Posted by
11404 posts

DL 118 BOS -CDG looks to be a Delta flt

FCO-BOS-- DL9448 ( KLM to AMS) DL127 AMS-BOS

Does this work for you? Avoids Alitalia ( and the bankruptcy drama) and an extra trip through CDG

Never been on Air France and my last Delta trip was business class ( used miles) .. very nice

Posted by
137 posts

I like Air France better. I have used both but had issues with Delta checking online and it was a pain to check-in at the airport.
Air France has an excellent online check-in and a mobil app where you can use a bar code on your phone without using a printed ticket, if you want. This feature comes in handy when returning home, I find it time consuming to ask hotel to print a boarding pass. Food is better on Air France, in my opinion. Otherwise, economy class seats on both are uncomfortable, no different.

Posted by
1242 posts

Hi Carol. Since flight comfort seems to be important, you might check plane type (767, A330, etc.) and seat availability for the flights you are considering, then check on seatguru.com to see comments for that airline and specific plane type. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
503 posts

Personally I won't fly with either airline ever again- had nasty experience with both but.... if I had to choose I'd choose Delta - at least the food's better. I'd definitely avoid Alitalia - codeshare flights can be problematic especially when AF is involved.

These days, there are no "good" airlines IMO.....

Posted by
11361 posts

To avoid airlines you don't care to fly, use British Air BOS to LHR and then get a connecting flight. I had done this many times. Use Skyscanner to find flights within Europe.

Posted by
3244 posts

As you are concerned with comfort, you might want to take the British Airways day flight from Logan to Heathrow, stay a night of two in London, or splurge for the night at the Sofitel at terminal 5. Then catch the flight to Paris the next day. Taking the day flight means you arrive in Europe relaxed; not exhausted from no sleep on an overnight flight. This is my 'first class' system: economy seat on day flight, lovely overnight at Sofitel in Terminal 5, essentially, and then fly the next day to Paris at a civilized hour. BA flies in and out of terminal 5, at least for most flights, so coming home from Rome would be pretty easy as well. At least I find it that way...but haven't flown from Rome. Or stay in London for a few days and take the "Chunnel" to Paris (I know people get very upset with that term so I'm using it..my mood today. LOL)

Posted by
1103 posts

We have had better food/wine on the Air France flights. Also, leaving from Boston on Air France puts you in the mood for Paris, since the staff are all French. I would avoid Alitalia. Coming home from Rome, I would pick a flight that does not leave too early in the AM. Connections of 2 more more hours in Paris or Amsterdam would be OK.

Posted by
137 posts

I would take a direct flight and not bother with connection, especially on the way to Paris. Boston to Paris flight time is only 1 hour longer than Boston to London, no need to spend extra time and stress by doing a connection. Back from Rome, maybe it will make sense because that flight is longer and you may find it easier to break it by connecting somewhere in the middle.
Delta vs. Air France may not be that different after all, I would pick up a convenient time for you to get to Logan in all the traffic. If I remember correctly, there are only 2 direct flights every evening and Delta leaves a little earlier than Air France.