Please sign in to post.

Boston Logan airport

For all of you that freqently fly out of Logan, I have a question. Due to a medical issue, my husband and I had to change our flights from Florida to Florence. Unfortuantely, we have lost our great flights and good seats! We now will be flying from Orlando to Boston and have only a 1 hour and 15 minute lawover at Logan. Is it doable?

Posted by
839 posts

Let me preface this by saying that I fly out of Boston and have never had a layover at Logan airport.

It might be tight. If your Orlando to Boston flight is on time (or early), maybe? You probably have to change terminals. There are walkways connecting terminals B and C to terminal E, where most international flights depart. I think the walk from terminal A to E is the shortest, least time consuming. How fast can you walk? International flights start boarding about 45 minutes before flight departure time. Will you have checked luggage? You should check if there are flights later in the day to your destination (I am unsure where you are flying to as there are no direct flights from Boston to Florence). If you miss your flight because your Orlando to Boston flight is late, then your airline is obligated to put you on the next available flight to your final destination, which may be the same day or the next day.

Posted by
664 posts

It would help to know the airline(s). If Delta, you will arrive from Orlando in Terminal A. Most likely your flight to Florence [or intermediate stop] will depart from Terminal E [international]. Delta may have an airside bus to make your connection inside security - if Delta, you should check with them. If another airline, there are airside walkways between terminals in only a few cases, based on what I can find.

Logan has minimal information available regarding airside transfers. Are the terminals listed on your itinerary? Best to inquire at your airline.

Posted by
3954 posts

One thing I do if I’m unfamiliar with a terminal and connecting flights is to go to Flightaware and check over a few days to see where my corresponding flights are currently landing and taking off from. It’s a bit OC for me but I feel better if I know the airline’s usual terminals and gates.

Also you mentioned a medical problem that caused the routing change you made. If you think you might need assistance at Logan you can probably set this up on your airline reservation screen.

Posted by
2499 posts

I have had only one experience flying internationally at Logan and it wasn’t very good. I had to go through security again and missed my connecting flight. Now I am not sure if this was because of buying the ticket on Orbitz which I would no longer do or not. I ended up on a later flight and my luggage even was transferred so it all worked out.

But do try to determine whether flying into Logan on a domestic flight and connecting to an international flight requires going through security again as that would impact time needed. I was on Jet Blue and British Airways which might matter but I don’t know.

Posted by
4000 posts

Assuming you stay within the same terminal at Logan, you should not be going through security again.

I have connected at Logan and even if you are staying within the same terminal, this is still tight especially if your inbound is delayed. Moreover, the door to your international flight could close 15-20 minutes before departure time.

Posted by
136 posts

I think this is cutting it much too close. Terminal E (international) is connected to Terminals B and C. However, the walk from Terminal B inside security would be very long. The walk could also be long from Terminal C, depending on where your gate is. Also note that Terminal E has recently expanded, and the walk within the terminal could be longer depending on where your gate is

The other options to get to Terminal E are outside of security. The page linked below has the info about how to travel between terminals:

https://www.massport.com/logan-airport/flights/connecting-flights/#:~:text=Getting%20around%20the%20airport%20is,familiarize%20yourself%20with%20the%20airport.

Posted by
83 posts

Thank you all for your advice . I knew I could count on this forum for solid advice. We have changed our flights again to get a better route and layover times (to the tune of lots of $$$$). We just can't work with a short layover, and my husband wont' be sprinting between terminals! Many thanks again.