Please sign in to post.

Booking Train Tickets

I think I want to print the few train tickets I may purchase online before our trip.

1. Does it matter if I use Trainline or Trenitalia to print the tickets after purchase ? I think they both have printing capability ?
  2. When you enter the Names of your party (there's 4 of us) do you need your passport's first and middle name or is the first name acceptable for the train ticket ?

THANKS!

Posted by
11315 posts

Whether you use Trainline or Trenitalia, print the PDF they send you, or download to your phone so you can display the PNR, if you will have a functioning phone.

Names are not terribly important as the conductors seldom check. Just enter first and last. No real need to match passports.

Posted by
11315 posts

Adding to say we once traveled with our cats and bought 4 seats together. I entered the girls’ names as you could not buy tickets without names. Conductor never batted an eyelash nor even looked in the cat carriers.

Posted by
2487 posts

Middle names are a phenomenon totally unknown in Europe. Fill out first name and family name as in the passport.

Posted by
1166 posts

Thank you ! I was just going to put first names and then wondered if there was any reason to add middle.

And I think I read somewhere on this forum about the ease of one website over others in printing or receiving your train info.

Posted by
1216 posts

Hi Carla. I have always used trenitalia web site as I like to deal direct / avoid unnecessary third parties, and it has worked well for me. One advantage of trenitalia is - they are the company running the trains, so you know you are always getting the most accurate info / schedules. But others have said trainline web site is a little more user friendly. You might try trenitalia and if you run into issues, switch to trainline web site. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
1166 posts

It is interesting !

I just input 4 of us into Trainline and the price for 4 of us is $39 per ticket. It is only $33 per ticket if I try to buy for 2 of us.

Odd....

Posted by
1166 posts

I will ! I thought at first that it was some kind of service fee, but I don't think so !

Posted by
8889 posts

Possibly there are only 3 tickets left at the cheaper price, so the 4th person pays the next price level up.

1) "Does it matter if I use Trainline or Trenitalia to print the tickets after purchase? - They don't print the tickets, you do! In both cases you get an e-mail with a PDF file attached. This file is the ticket, and you need to print this yourself.

2) The only name on the ticket that matters is yours. When the ticket is checked on the train they should check your ID to see if it matches (but often don't), the other seats are for whoever you choose to bring on the day. As the others say, middle names are a rarity in most European countries (I don't have one), so companies don't record them.

Posted by
1166 posts

As long as either of them gives me something to print, I am good.

It's been awhile since I pre purchased any train tickets, but there are some deals on our routes right now and I might as well save a bit for gelato !

Posted by
23267 posts

Since your mentioned Trenitalia I assume you are buying tickets for Italy. If buying four tickets, it is likely that only one name will appear on the tickets. That is fine. There is no matching of names to tickets or passport as it is with airline tickets. All the conductors wants to see is four valid tickets. In Italy all train tickets except the Regionale includes a seat reservation that is specific to a certain train at a fixed time. It is not valid under any circumstances for any other train. The Regionale train tickets are the exception since they do not include a seat reservation. Open seating. No seat available -- stand till one opens up.

And Regionale train tickets should never be purchased on-line since there is no discount for early purchase and these ticket come pre-validated in a tighter time window. Best to purchase at the station on the day or day before travel.

Posted by
1166 posts

Thank you all !