Please sign in to post.

Booked ICE629 saving ticket from Dusseldorf to Frankfurt, can I get on from Cologne?

Hello,

My husband and I thought we would stay in Dusseldorf on June 2nd, so we bought ICE629 ticket from Dusseldorf to Frankfurt. Now we had to go to Cologne. Can we use the same ticket to get on the same train from Cologne to Frankfurt?

Thank you for your help.

Clara

Posted by
8889 posts

Yes, you can use the same ticket, except you may have a problem with the reserved seats.
The rules say if a reserved is not claimed within 15 minutes, it is free for anybody. This is to cover "no shows" The little LCD display above the seat that says the seat is reserved "Düsseldorf - Frankfurt" goes off automatically after 15 minutes. So, if somebody is sitting there you will have to find another seat.

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you Chris! It is very helpful. Is Cologne worth staying for a night? Dusseldorf and Cologne, which city is better in term of historical site seeing?

Posted by
8889 posts

Clara, neither are as good as many smaller German towns. They both suffered extensive compulsory re-development at the hands of the RAF. Cologne has a very famous cathedral (opposite the station) and is worth a day.
But (and it is probably too late now) if you had the time I would suggest not taking the high speed ICE, but taking local trains along the old route from Cologne to Frankfurt, which follows the Rhine gorge all the way, through lots of lovely towns you can stop off at, and past the Loreley rock.
Official UNESCO World Heritage Site video: http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1066/video

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you so so much Chris! You are right, it is a bit late for this time :) I will save your posting and will do it next time. Valuable information.

I just register on this website today for a train question but now I am so love with this site :)

Posted by
20002 posts

Two Points.

1. The ICE 629 does not pass through the Rhine valley between Cologne and Frankfurt. It goes straight to Frankfurt on a special high-speed track that follows the Autobahn for much of the way.

2. The ICE 629 does not stop at Cologne Hbf but at Cologne-Messe/Deutz, across the river from Cologne. You will need to take one for the frequent trains from Cologne Hbf and change there.

Oh, a third point. I really like Cologne.

Posted by
18 posts

Wow, good to know that! INdeed I thought the train would stop at central station. Great catch! I will do more research on how to get to the mess station.Thank you team!

Posted by
19091 posts

Fortunately, that train does not stop after Düsseldorf (dep 13:08) until Koeln Messe (arr 13:29). Most people will probably have found unreserved seats by 13:23 when the light goes off (although if the train is really packed, someone might be waiting at the unoccupied seat for the reserved light to go off).

There are S-bahn every 4-6 minutes between Köln Hbf and Köln Messe (takes 2 min), but the S-Bahn platform is on a different level (higher) from the through tracks for your ICE, so you will have to change levels. Look for signs for tracks (Gleise 11 and 12). There are also periodic regional train, but they also come in on the same level as the S-Bahn.

Posted by
18 posts

THank you Lee! One more question, should I book the ticket from Dusseldorf to Colongne now or should I get there just buy from station? Does the price make a big difference?

Posted by
20002 posts

The VRS ticket to get across the river is 2.80 EUR/p. It is not too late to refund your Sparpreis ticket at a cost of 17.50 EUR. There are tickets available on either the IC or ICE trains that do go from Cologne Hbf to Frankfurt for 19 EUR per person that travel along the Rhine.

Posted by
12040 posts

Düsseldorf does have an Altstadt, but unlike the old center of many other German cities, it's rather neglected, a bit run down, and not the center of the city's activity. The main business and shopping district is pleasent, but firmly rooted in the post-war era.

However, check out the Oberkasel district on the opposite bank of the Rhine. There aren't really any "sites" to visit, but this is one of the most attractive residential quarters of any large city that I have seen.

Posted by
19091 posts

I thought, per your OP, that you already had your ticket from Düsseldorf to Köln (to Frankfurt). Or do you mean just a separate ticket from Düsseldorf to Köln, so you'll be in Köln to use the existing ticket. If the later, buy the ticket as soon as you can commit, to take advantage of the lower, discounted, advance purchase fare.

Or, if you have the time, take Sam's advice and turn in the Düsseldorf to Frankfurt ticket (for a 17,50€ penalty) and apply the balance to a ticket through the Rhein gorge (via Koblenz). It's a slower, albeit more scenic route.

Posted by
18 posts

Thank you everyone. You are very helpful.

My husband is going to attend the international trade show in Drupa on June 2nd and I assume we stay in Dussenldorf that night so I booked June 3rd ICE629 from Dusseldorf to Frankfort. The ticket price is very reasonable and it only costs us 19 euros each. After I booked the ticket, i realized the hotel in Dusseldorf that day is extremely expensive, that's why I want to stay in Cologne to avoid the crowd.

we fly from Frankfurt to New York on June 4th.

If i stay in Cologne on June 2nd in Cologne, my ICE 629's part from Dusseldorf to Cologne won't be valid, that's why i am thinking to book another ticket from Dusseldorf to Cologne in the evening time on June 2nd.

Also - do you have any suggestion on any hotels near by Drupa except for Cologne?

Thank you all your advises, this is such a helpful forum, it beyond my expectation.

Clara

Posted by
20002 posts

Ok, where are you coming from before Duesseldorf and when are you arriving?

Posted by
18 posts

I will come from Dusseldorf airport and my husband will come from Drupa international trade show. We are going to meet at Dusseldorf and then take a train to Frankfurt.

Posted by
20002 posts

So he will already have a hotel room in Duesseldorf. I have not been to Drupa, but my previous employer was involved there. I guess I'm saying, if it is a business expense, hotel price is, if not irrelevant, at least to be expected. All the hotels will be jacking their rates anticipating a big international trade show. Are you arriving the day before, or earlier? Maybe staying with the original plan is best.