Please sign in to post.

boeing 777

when traveling to rome from miami do the boeing 777 have the tv located directly in front of you ie on the back of the seat in front of you. i wont fly transatically without this convenience

Posted by
23177 posts

This will not make your day. Two or three days ago in the WSJ there was an articles that airline were considering removing inseat screens because they added several hundred pounds (maybe 500 ??) of additional weight and every pound adds to the fuel costs.

Posted by
63 posts

Each airline could be different. Go to www.seatguru.com. Select your airline, aircraft type and click on the tv monitor icon for the details on what their planes offer.

Posted by
9098 posts

Won't ruin by day at all. I haven't used one of those in-flight system in over four years. If I want to watch a movie/TV show, listen to music, or read an e-book, I just whip out my PDA.

Posted by
32171 posts

Frank, I also heard that story about the airline removing in-flight entertainment systems to save weight. However, I believe they were only going to do that on regional flights. I doubt that airlines would do that to passengers on trans-atlantic flights.

Steve, every airline will have their own policy on that. They may decide to use one large screen for each section of the plane, as was the custom in "the old days". You might want to check with the airline you'll be travelling with to find out what type of entertainment systems their planes are equipped with.

Cheers!

Posted by
9363 posts

Frank, Ken is right. The story regarding removal of entertainment systems was about USAirways, and was only on some domestic flights, not international flights.

Posted by
9363 posts

Steve, your airline's website will probably have a section called "in-flight services" or something like that, and their entertainment options will be listed there. In my experience, most airlines I have flown also list what movies are offered on what flights.

Posted by
805 posts

The only difference is whether it is a fixed channel system (a number of channels running on a set loop) or an AVOD system which is full on-demand...

Posted by
225 posts

If you can't live (or travel) without this, then make a backup plan. Bring your own entertainment system (I recently brought my 6 month old daughter who was more than enough entertainment). But seriously, if not having the system would cause you not to travel, then be ready in case the system isn't on your flight or it doesn't work which does happen from time to time.

Happy travels.

Posted by
12172 posts

I usually don't even look at the entertainment options. I know I'll need sleep so that's my priority on the plane. I do listen to the provided music, usually something very soft at a low volume that lends itself to the task at hand (sleeping).

Posted by
658 posts

Each to their own I guess.

From my point of view if the price is right and it means I get to travel - they can tape me to the outside of the engine cowling.

As for the in flight movies - again each to their own. Most of them are edited to fit into flight schedule and not offend a wide cross section audience from a variety of faiths, nationalities and ethnic backgrounds. Long term travellers will remember that they edited 'The Sting' to remove the shooting of Robert Redford by Paul Newman on certain flights so as not to cause offence by the gratuitous violence.

In flight movies have become so bland that I'm happy to read a book. If airlines knocked USD50.00 of the ticket price and removed the screens my bet says they'd get a lot of passengers.

Posted by
48 posts

Just returned on a 777 and yes they did have a TV on the back of the seats in front of us.

Posted by
1547 posts

As posted earlier - not all airlines are equal. Just because one airlines 777 has the seat back video does not mean all other airlines have them too. Please check the airline you are flying.

Posted by
240 posts

Just like buying a car, there are many options for each airline to purchase for their fleet of planes. My boyfriend builds the engine for ALL Boeing 777's, and those do remain the same. It might be a good idea to rent a personal dvd player at the airport and watch your own movies, if the airline is not equiped for your liking. Happy travels!!

Posted by
97 posts

Interesting! To think someone would actually forego traveling without a screen directly in front of him to watch...

Posted by
10344 posts

Al (from Nottingham): Have you seen the latest? It's the "seat surcharge" (oh you wanted a seat, well that will be extra). First class, business class, economy, and cattle car. Cattle car is going to just have straps hanging down from the ceiling, like the Tube.

Posted by
643 posts

I flew 11 hours to Osaka from Seattle on a DC-10-30 and it had no screens on the back of the seats. Did I miss them? Hell no. They had a screen in front of each cabin playing the movie, and later, the flight data. I prefer to sleep on airplanes, so no screens are fine by me.