Please sign in to post.

Best Airport Survey 2022

The 2023 list wont come out until late this year.

With all the issues concerning airports right now, I thought this was interesting. Might affect your choice for long haul flights or flight changes. There are also categories for Easiest, Dedicated Staff, Enjoyable, Clean and what is interesting was that Skopje is the only European airport that show up in all of them. I got curious and looked at some past surveys and Skopje is sure consistent; not that many of us are going to Skopje any time soon, just nice to see a business do well. Here are the top two in each category. Ive been to the highlighted ones, and agree they were better than average. https://aci.aero/programs-and-services/asq/asq-awards-and-recognition/

Skytrax also publishes awards, but when they rate LHR, CDG and IAH as "tops" I gotta kind of question what the basis it. Oh, and Skopje doesnt show up at all LOL. Guess you gotta take all of these with a grain of salt.

EUROPE

2 to 5 million passengers per year
Skopje International Airport (Skopje, North Macedonia)
Tallinn Airport (Tallinn, Estonia)

5 to 15 million passengers per year
Ankara Esenboga Airport (Ankara, Turkey)
Belgrade Nikola Tesla Airport (Belgrade, Republic of Serbia)

15 to 25 million passengers per year
Aeropuerto de Alicante-Elche (Alicante, Spain)
Budapest Airport (Budapest, Hungary)

25 to 40 million passengers per year
Athens International Airport (Athens, Greece)
Palma de Mallorca Airport (Palma, Spain)

Over 40 million passengers per year
Aeroporto di Roma-Fiumicino (Rome Fiumicino, Italy)
Istanbul Airport (Istanbul, Turkey)

In the US

25 to 40 million passengers per year
Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (Detroit , United States of America)
Minneapolis/St Paul International Airport (Minneapolis, United States of America)

Over 40 million passengers per year
Dallas Fort Worth International Airport (Dallas, United States of America)
San Francisco International Airport (San Francisco, United States of America)

Posted by
2267 posts

SkyTrax is infamously useless, and the ratings are generally paid for by the rated. The nail in the coffin of their reputation was when they gave Lufthansa, which already suffered miserable service scores, a 5* rating based on a cabin redesign that wasn't scheduled to roll out for a few years. (And now, 4-5 years later, is again scheduled to take "a few years'.)

Posted by
17918 posts

I figured. But the other survey recognized Istanbul, Budapest and DFW which I would have presumed to be on the top of any list as they are some of the best I've flown through, especially IST.

Posted by
1434 posts

I think Athens and Rome FCO are not good airports, let alone "great" airports.

I believe Zurich is the best major hub airport in Europe.

Posted by
8443 posts

I have been in the Skopje airport a few times, and agree it is decent for the size. Skopje itself is more modern and prosperous-looking than you might think - they have a McDonalds! Lake Ohrid is probably where you need to go.

Posted by
6315 posts

James, I loved Istanbul airport. The last time I was there was 2007. Do they still do the security checks at the individual gates?