Please sign in to post.

Bayern Ticket

Just to clarify, if I purchase a Bayern ticket and decided to stop in Munich for a few hours is the ticket good for all transport within Munich? Not the Uban right? Thanks, Wendy

Posted by
19092 posts

Yes. The Bayern-Ticket is valid on all transport of the MVV (S-Bahn, U-Bahn, streetcars, and buses). There are a few privately run buses that don't accept it, but other than that, everything. There is a little information in English under Bayern-Ticket on the Bahn website at www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/prices/germany/laender-ticket.shtml. The German side of the MVV website says, "Das Bayern-Ticket kann im Gesamtnetz des MVV für beliebige Fahrten in allen Verkehrsmitteln genutzt werden." The Bayern-Ticket can be used in the entire network of the MVV for as many trips as you desire in all conveyances.

Posted by
19092 posts

"Not the Uban [U-Bahn] right? I think you meant not JUST the S-Bahn. There are two commuter rail systems in Munich, the S-Bahn and the U-Bahn. The U-Bahn (Untergrund-Bahn) runs almost entirely in the downtown area, inner zone or <i>Innenraum</i>, and is mostly underground. The larger S-Bahn (Schnell-Bahn) run above ground out into the suburbs, but are only underground through the central tunnel from the Hauptbahnhof to Ostbahnhof. The S-Bahn is run by Deutsche Bahn and is available to people with rail passes; the other transport in Munich (U-Bahn, streetcars, and buses) are run by Munich and are not included with rail passes, but are included in the Bayern-Ticket.

Posted by
190 posts

Thanks Lee, Once in Munich using this ticket can I hop right on lets say the S or U-bahn trains? Or do I need to do anything special with the ticket like have it stamped ect..? I'm trying to get to the Oktoberfest grounds. While I'm asking looking at the DB website we plan on going to Salzburg from Munich and looking at the time I want to leave the train is leaving from München Hbf Gl.5-10 I this located within the main train station? Wendy Wendy

Posted by
19092 posts
  1. There is a line on the Bayern-Ticket, I believe it says "Unterschrift", where someone in the party needs to sign it, when you first get on a train, in block letters, and that person always has to be with the Ticket. In most cases, the Ticket will be time-stamped by the automat; no other stamping is necessary. I think some U-Bahn and tram station automats issue an un-time-stamped Ticket that must be canceled. If so the ticket will have "Hier entwerten" printed on the end that goes into the stamping machine. After that you just carry the Bayern-Ticket with you and show it if anyone asks, and hop on/off any conveyance you desire.
Posted by
19092 posts
  1. (Until we get the carriage return back, this is what I have to do for paragraphs) It's not a very long walk from the Hbf to Theresienwiese, the Oktoberfest grounds, about 4-5 blocks as I remember. There is a U-Bahn line (U4 & U5) that goes from the underground station just outside the So. door of the Hbf. Theresienwiese is the next stop after you get on.
Posted by
19092 posts
  1. Tracks 11-26 come into the main shed of the Hbf. Added onto the outside are two Flügelbahnhöfe (wing stations), Holzkirchen Bahnhof (Gl. 5-10) and Starnberger Bahnhof (Gl. 27-36). To get to the Holzkirchen Bahnhof, walk along the platform for track 11 to the end of the shed. Tracks 5-10 will be ahead on your left. www.stationsdatenbank.bayern-takt.de/StationsdatenbankBEG/Steckbrief.html?lang=de&efz=8098262. (Wouldn't it be nicer to just click on a link rather than cutting and pasting all that?) Why do trains to Holzkirchen leave from the Starnberger Bahnhof?
Posted by
4407 posts

Wendy, years ago the Oktoberfest website actually suggested walking from the Hbf rather than taking public transportation - you'd be standing on the platform for several trains waiting for your turn to squeeze into one! I've made the walk several times; you may want to consider doing the same, esp. going TO the grounds...You want the FASTEST way back, if your bladder is anything like mine ;-).....HAVE FUN!!!