Please sign in to post.

Basic Economy

I know that the restrictions vary from carrier to carrier, but it looks like both Delta and AF have a basic fare that allows for a carry-on bag, but no checked bag. Does this fare work with a typical carry-on type of luggage? We never check bags but wondered if this was the case. Some we think allow you to purchase a seat after booking. Trying to figure out the difference with basic and economy.

Posted by
591 posts

Delta’s basic fare allows for a bag to be checked for a fee on international flights. Main cabin fare permits the first bag to be checked free of charge. That baggage fee for basic economy is quite steep. It would be better to pay the main cabin fare and enjoy those limited benefits than to pay that fee. There’s a baggage calculator on Delta’s website.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/baggage/overview

Posted by
2667 posts

Look closely at the airline’s carry on rules. From United’s app since I’m flying with them in 2 1/2 weeks:

Carry-on baggage
With Basic Economy, you’re allowed a small personal item that fits under the seat in front of you, such as a shoulder bag, purse, laptop bag or other small item, 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm) or less. You’re not allowed a full-sized carry-on bag unless you’re a MileagePlus® Premier® member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or Star Alliance™ Gold member. If you bring a full-sized carry-on bag to the gate, your bag will be checked and subject to the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge.

Plus, if you have to pay for a seat or get assign a bad middle seat, there’s more cost either money or comfort. So is Basic Economy really worth it?

Not to me. Even in Economy, I’m picky where I sit and will pay for a better seat. I want my right hand aisle seat. I have a hard time cramming everything into the allowable carry on and personal item. Supplies now take up as much room as clothes. But let’s not get into a packing debate here..

Posted by
6227 posts

One other perk you get with Main cabin fares on Delta is the ability to choose your seat ahead of time. For a long-distance flight, it's worth it (at least for me it is).

Also keep in mind that Delta's carry-on restrictions are more generous than Air France. Even if the ticket is booked through Delta, you could be over limit with the AF leg.

Posted by
3809 posts

I don’t remember the exact circumstances, but I once was getting on an Air France flight after a Delta flight, and the Air France people were measuring everyone’s carry on and charging people extra if it was outside Air France’s limits. I think airport staffing would preclude that at this point.

Posted by
2462 posts

I have flown basic economy domestically on Delta. Baggage was not a problem but expect the middle seat. And for all of your party to be split up so you can all occupy middle seats.

The biggest issue of economy vs basic economy for me is that since covid the regular economy can be changed for no fee. This means can have "credit" on the airline if you can not make the flight rather than losing all your money.

Posted by
3941 posts

I have flown American Basic Economy with a regular carry on size suitcase and a backpack. (in March) But who knows - you just have to read everything carefully (as in the case of United restrictions).

Posted by
454 posts

I never book Delta's Basic Economy any more now that Delta eliminated change fees when you purchase your tickets in Main Cabin or above. Add that benefit to the included checked bag and the fact that with Main Cabin, you can select a seat at the time of reservation, instead of having to wait until check-in, and for me it becomes a no-brainer. If you change your date, time, or destination, you get to apply the full value of your ticket to the new flight and only pay the fare difference. If you cancel, you get an eCredit for the full value of your ticket. Delta's Basic Economy tickets can't be changed. They can be cancelled altogether, for an eCredit, but with a large cancelation fee deducted. Booking in Main Cabin takes the guesswork out of the question, "Is it too early to book flights?" When you see a rate you can live with, book it. If you are monitoring your flight and later see it go down, you can cancel and re-book and you'll get an eCredit for the fare difference. Because I'm happy with eCredits, I can also save money by not insuring the airfare (unless I'm buying a policy that doesn't permit self-insuring of some costs.)

Posted by
1156 posts

Thanks, everyone for the very useful information. I agree after reading all this that the Basic fare is a gamble.

Posted by
2942 posts

Depending on your height and weight the middle seat can be pure torture on a long flight. Last time I got stuck there both armrests were taken and the guy on the right had a hygiene problem, which of course got worse as the flight wore on. Very hard to sleep in that situation.

Posted by
6227 posts

Mike, that's the worst. Once I got stuck next to a person who was obviously a heavy smoker, and stunk of stale cigarette smoke. I finally had to ask the flight attendant for another seat.

Posted by
3064 posts

Wouldn’t it be lovely if somehow there could be a strict check on everyone before boarding, that they had bathed that morning, applied deodorant , and brushed their teeth!!
Soap and water is widely available........

Posted by
806 posts

I've done AF to CDG - and am looking to fly them again. If I buy their BE fare and add a bag and a seat each way, it's more expensive than if I buy the next level up:

Current fares, YUL-CDG (same scenario with JFK-CDG, etc.)
BE (aka "light") - $810.60; with a seat = $26.35/each way (minimum); plus $58.80/each way = $980.90

But the next step up, which is Standard, includes a bag and a seat selection. That's $928.60.

So I'd just rather buy Standard, as I know I'm going to definitely check a bag on the way back, and I'm going to want to pick my seat.... ymmv.

Posted by
14481 posts

Both domestically and internationally I always fly Economy, it's most likely always Basic because I do nothing to enhance my seat or end up paying extra for anything. With Delta never overseas, only a few times domestic. The one US carrier I use most often for Europe flying is United, ie to Paris and Frankfurt.

Posted by
4255 posts

Even if you are allowed a regular size carry-on, I think Basic Economy boards last so there may not be any overhead space left.

Posted by
223 posts

I never do Basic Economy because we check our bags. I want a window seat and my Parents in the aisle. Its only $30 difference so not much for a $10,00 trip. I love seung passengers complain when they were assigned the middle seat or pay to check in luggage.

I pack light!