Please sign in to post.

BAHN.DE website

When it says for the train that a reservation is required is that just referring to rail pass holders?

Posted by
32212 posts

Heather,

No, the reservation applies to everyone. The reservation fee is included in the cost for P-P tickets, but extra cost for Rail Pass holders.

Cheers!

Posted by
23 posts

Ok, so if it does not say that, does that mean that a rail pass holder can board the train and pay no supplement?

Thanks!

Posted by
19092 posts

In Germany, you should just be able to board the train and the conductor will accept and stamp your rail pass. That's all.

I don't know of any railpass supplements required for any train in Germany (except for night trains and Thalys between Brussels and Köln).

However, there are a lot of special fares, such as the Dauer-Spezial, which require advance purchase, and regional day passes, such as the Bayern-Ticket, which don't. A railpass is probably not necessary. I generally spend half as much traveling in Germany on P2P tickets as I would pay for a railpass. Last November I spent $145 for four days of travel in Germany (2 Rheinland-Pfalz-Tickets and 2 Dauer-Spezial tickets); a four day German Rail pass is $260.

Posted by
8700 posts

Yes, for any train that does not require a reservation, railpass holders can simply board the train. If that train is the first one you take that day, write in the date on your pass.

Posted by
32212 posts

Heather,

It's very important to research all the trips you'll be taking by train to determine which of those the compulsory reservation applies to. Even with a Rail Pass, if you're "caught" without a reservation (especially in Italy) you'll be "nicked" with a fine on the spot! I know, because it's happened to me!

If you're travelling on a Regional train (ie: one that doesn't require a compulsory reservation) then you'll just need to present your Rail Pass when the Conductor asks for your ticket.

It would help to know what type of Rail Pass you'll be using?

Cheers!