Please sign in to post.

BA 777 vs A350

I'm booking a flight on British Airways in Premium Economy with points for next year and am wondering if you have a preference on aircraft - the 777 or the A350. Schedules are similar so wondering if the planes are comparable or if you have any comments?

Posted by
3114 posts

Hi,
I’m booked on a BA A350 in Premium Economy in December.
I also used points, but didn’t see any 777’s out of my home airport.
I can let you know then, if it’s not too late for you to book your flights by then.

Posted by
666 posts

Due to "modern" manufacturing techniques, people flying on either the the A350 or the Boeing 787 may experience milder cases of jet lag. The cabins are pressurized at a higher level than older planes such as the 777, and the humidity level is also higher, thus less stress on the body.

I can't speak to the BA premium economy experience on either plane.

Posted by
6901 posts

Haven't flown those on BA, but the A350 is much quieter than the B777 and would be my choice for that reason alone. You're also likely to have a newer cabin, unless BA refurbished the 777s.

Posted by
2827 posts

Our flight between Denver and Heathrow is on an A350. We've done the route several times now ... always in their "World Traveler Plus" section (Premium Economy) and it's terrific. The 2-4-2 cabin layout is great, and when combined with a generous 38" pitch it makes for a very comfortable experience for not a whole lot more money. Can recommend it.
Haven't flown in a 777 in a while but my qualitative impression going from memory is that the A350 is indeed quieter.
Might also add that I enrolled in the BA Executive Club years ago, ie when we first started flying the Heathrow route regularly, and have been pleasantly surprised on a couple of occasions with upgrades into their Club World ( long haul business class) section, which is quite wonderful indeed. Membership is free and is worth the effort of enrolling if you're not already a member.

Posted by
3099 posts

Barbara, are you flying from LAX? Or using different airports for the two different planes?

Posted by
16287 posts

Both planes use 2-4-2 seating for World Traveler Plus. The cabin is slightly smaller on the 777 (3 or 5 rows on the 777 versus 7 rows for the A350). You can compare the seating charts here:

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/seating/seat-maps/world-traveller-plus-seatmap

On the LAX schedule I see for next spring, the A350 flight departs a bit earlier, which might give you more options for your onward connecting flight if you have one. If you are just flying to London, though, I would prefer to arrive around noon rather than 10 am, as it would be easier to coordinate with hotel check-in time.

Many of the BA 777’s have been refurbished, but I don’t know how to tell if the LAX one has been. Maybe look at the Club World seating—the refurbished planes have “Club suites” with individual seats instead of the standard yin-yang paired seats with one facing backwards.

I know the A350 gets a lot of love on FlyerTalk, with some people going out of their way to fly that plane. Apart from the larger, less “private” cabin, all factors appear to favor the A350.

Unless, of course, you are a member of the “if it isn’t Boeing I’m not going” club. But that is mostly a Seattle “thing”, and doesn’t work these days when there are Airbus planes even on the Alaska Airlines schedule.

Posted by
5264 posts

have been pleasantly surprised on a couple of occasions with upgrades into their Club World (First Class) section, which is quite wonderful indeed.

Club World is BA's business class, First Class is still called First Class and is generally a good step above Club World however the new Club Suite product in Club World, primarily on Airbus stock is a great improvement and comes pretty close to the seats in First Class. So much so that the only noticeable difference between Club World fitted with the Club Suite and First Class is the dining and wine options.

If it were me I would opt for the Airbus and plump for Club World if your finances will stretch to it.

Posted by
528 posts

Thanks for all the great comments. This helps. I'll go with the A350, I think:)

Posted by
23 posts

There’s already great suggestions on this thread. I am already booked on BA 350-1000 (their newest aircraft) for next summer (LHR=>SAN direct, one way). If you can, go with the newest airplane and don’t settle for less. Most of their 777-200/300 are retrofitted with Club Suites, but not sure about the other seats. Google is your friend, google ‘ba a350-1000 premium economy reviews’. Go with review dates in 2023.

Good luck and have fun!

Posted by
2740 posts

Note that even if a Boeing-777 has been refurbished it is NOT a 787, it is still only a 777 and without the advances of the 787 (or A-350)