Please sign in to post.

Autoeurope

I feel that if people are willing to post negative comments they also should be equally willing to post kudos when appropriate. I just booked a rental car with Autoeurope for a trip to Spain in November. I disagreed with the way they presented some of the financial details and a cost which I felt was not clearly disclosed. I calmly made my case over the phone to a representative. She then talked to a supervisor. In the end, my reservation was credited for the disputed amount and my guess is that they will make some changes to their reservation process. This is not at all intended as a complaint. To the contrary, I have rented from Autoeurope in the past with good results and I will be even more inclined now to recommend them now. This company clearly wants to provide complete details on a reservation so that there are no surprises with the rental. Thank you Auroeurope for making travel just a little bit easier!

Posted by
1188 posts

I have used AutoEurope and have no complaints. I rented a Budget Rent-a-Car car in the Big Island of Hawaii through AE in 2017 and AE had the cheapest rate. I did not expect AE offered cars for Hawaii, but I learned they can book worldwide not just Europe. The price was so low that i called the AE rep to make the reservation by phone instead of online. The rep advised that AE books or reserve blocks of cars at a discount and offers them. I had no issues. I waived CDW and was not dinged with any hidden charges. But i recall that i had to pre-pay and i am not sure what would have happened if i had to cancel. My last trip to Maui, i used Discount Hawaii Car Rentals which has free cancellation and prices about the same as AE.

Posted by
2916 posts

i recall that i had to pre-pay and i am not sure what would have happened if i had to cancel.

I've used AutoEurope in France many times. I believe I always had to prepay (I know for sure I've had to do so the last few times), and the cancellation deal is no charge if you cancel up to 48 hours before the beginning of the rental period. This year, after pre-paying, I saw that AE had a lower rate for the same exact car class, and cancelled on-line and then rebooked. It was simple, although I then got an email from AE asking how come I cancelled, and they offered to match the price. I explained, and was told next time I should just call and they'll refund the price difference.
All in all, I've been totally satisfied with AE over the years. I rarely even check the car companies for comparison anymore.

Posted by
10188 posts

Their policies are user-friendly. Despite their 48-hour policy, we once had to cancel the morning of the pick up due to a death in the family. They understood and refunded all the money.

Posted by
5581 posts

You definitely have to prepay but their website says you may cancel up to 48 hours before.

Posted by
8141 posts

I too have used AutoEurope many times. After I see the rental location's address, I'll Google the address to see what brand of rental car I'm getting. Then I'll look in the rental company website to compare pricing. Sometimes A/E is better and sometimes not.
I have a 15 year old Hertz Gold corporate card (when I worked), and it comes with the lowest fares available. A/E has been known to beat that from time to time. Note: A/E is a consolidator, or a wholesale purchaser of car rentals and they are just a marketing operation. But they're a good one.

Posted by
5581 posts

For whatever the reason, when I rent thru Autoeurope I typically end up getting Europcar. Which is fine, but Europcar seems to always be less expensive thru Autoeurope. Once, the car was from Hertz. In the U.S., lately, I've been the most pleased with Enterprise.

Posted by
951 posts

I too have used Auto Europe many times and have been satisfied with their support before the rental and during travel. My last trip to Italy, tried to use my Hertz Gold thinking I would get a better price and Auto Europe was substantially less. The good news is that because I was Hertz Gold when I got my car in Florence, the Hertz supervisor waived by extra driver charge even though I rented through Auto Europe.

Posted by
3 posts

I used them in Europe a few years ago -- did a prepaid, including CDW through a tour operator in Toronto. Our voucher said it was prepaid and CDW was included. When we went to collect the car the rep said that there was a 800 euro deductible with the CDW in the event of an accident or scratches, dents etc. We then had to pay something like 14 euro a day to reduce the CDW to zero

Posted by
1056 posts

I’ve used AutoEurope several times and have always been pleased. Once, due to a delayed flight and missed connection, we rebooked to Rome instead of Florence and had no problems switching our reservation. Last year I rented in Portugal and returned the car with a scrape on one side (bad directional assistance from our host when backing out from a tight parking space ). There was absolutely no problem returning the car because I had the zero deductible coverage. I recommend them without reservation.

Posted by
2916 posts

When we went to collect the car the rep said that there was a 800 euro deductible with the CDW in the event of an accident or scratches, dents etc. We then had to pay something like 14 euro a day to reduce the CDW to zero

The Auto Europe web site now is very clear about those kinds of things, explaining whether it's a CDW with a deductible, or a no-deductible CDW. I got the latter this year for the first time; it even included tires, glass, etc.

Posted by
6501 posts

Not to be boring, but I too have had only good experiences with Auto Europe over the years. Flexible, helpful by phone, never got a better price elsewhere. One time they had a promotion where they'd mail you a portable GPS before you left, returnable when you returned, for no charge. Those days are probably over though.