Please sign in to post.

Amsterdam to Prague

Anyone have experience taking the overnight train from Amsterdam to Prague? We have a Global Rail Pass but are having trouble finding out how to get a reservation on the train in a sleeper car for two adults and one 4 year old.

Posted by
1078 posts

Although we didn't go to Prague, (we were bound for Poznan during the volcano problems)the same train goes to several destinations and is "broken" somewhere in Germany. We did get our reservations at DB on line,however, we did not use the GRP. Take plenty of food and water as there is no food service(other than a pretend croissant(which was worse than the airline one) and some coffee in the morning. Toilet is at the end of the car and the water is not drinkable on the train.
Sadly, the places the cars stop for the various destinations was not marked on the platform, however, we did have about 10 minutes to find our coach and board. People on the platform with us were on there way to Prague, vienna, ect, so it is pretty long!

Posted by
4637 posts

It seems to me that the easiest would be to call Deutsche Bahn International Service hotline: 01149 1805 996633 (if calling from the US).

Posted by
973 posts

Go directly to the Deutsche Bahn site and mark your origin as british rather than US. If you give the date, i'll look at what's available, and if you're lucky one of the experts will come along!
We took it round trip 3 summers ago. We booked a T4, which is a six person cabin with only 4 bunks made up- we really needed the space. You can find the right compartment by studying the board at the train station. It was warm, as the climate control did not work and we couldnt lower the window in one direction, and in the other it was noisy as we had to lower the window.

Posted by
11 posts

We will be departing Amsterdam the night of Friday September 16 to arrive on Saturday the 17th in the morning. Our global pass is a first class. Thanks for the help folks.

Posted by
19099 posts

"Go directly to the Deutsche Bahn site and mark your origin as british" That will change the language to English, nothing else. "We ... are having trouble finding out how to get a reservation on the train" This is a dirty little secret about rail passes. Reservations are not so easy to get. But another secret is that when you reserve a sleeping accommodation, you reserve it for the entire run of that train. They don't have crew on board that changes all the linen in the compartment so that they can re-rent it for the last hour. So, if you go onto the Bahn website and reserve the accommodations for Amsterdam to Dresden, it will be yours for Dresden to Prague, as well.

Posted by
2829 posts

Lee, That is illegal and may entice you being thrown off the train. I'd never recommend anyone to do that, it is just plain stupid: - reservation prices for night trains (and ticket prices for that matter) are usually "global", they don't vary much according to your destination (for the reason you mentioned). - however, if you book reservation for another place than your destination, your carriage may well be not headed to the place you want to go, as many trains are shuffled overnight, combined, split etc!!!! - if caught travelling beyond your point of disembark stated on your reservation, you risk getting a fine and a double charge for the ticket you didn't buy, regardless of you having a pass or not.

Posted by
19099 posts

I'd get the reservation for Amsterdam to Bad Schandau (the last stop in Germany, at 7:33). Before you get on in Amsterdam, show the people at the counter the rail pass and the reservation. Actually, the conductor has the final say. You might talk to him. I'm sure they would tell you you could stay in the compartment to Prague (they can't re-rent it). At worst (and I seriously doubt it would come to this, they would make you buy seats for €9 (Aufpreis). Or you could simply get off that train in Bad Schandau and take the next train in an hour to Prague (remember, your rail pass is dated and valid for the rest of that day). If you wanted to totally cover your butt, you could book the accommodations from Emmerich to Prague (same price), then book seats on the same train from Amsterdam to Berlin (first stop for booking reservations, also same price), 3@€9. Then you would be assured of at least seats from Amsterdam to Emmerich.