Please sign in to post.

American airlines - positive outcomes on refunds

I just wanted to post a positive note on American Airlines. Our July 16th flight from ORD to LHR was canceled and rescheduled to an earlier flight (by 4 hours). We received our refund in 8 days. We also had flights booked from Springfield to Chicago using points (web specials). We got the points back the same day that we made the request and the paid taxes returned 11 days later. This flight was never canceled or changed so I was pleasantly surprised. My friend who brought her Springfield to Chicago flight as a basic economy ticket, also got it refunded to her CC. - We have had a good experience with AA getting money back. I know some of you are trying to unwind your summer plans and may have purchased tickets as a basic economy or used web special points so this may give you some hope of getting money/points back.

Margaret

Posted by
161 posts

My flight to Milan in August, 2020, was cancelled by American Airlines. I have been trying to get a refund since the beginning of April. I have not heard back from them. In their website, I keep getting message that my refund request is "under review." Does anyone have a phone number that I can call and request the refund. Thanks,
Gladys

Posted by
991 posts

Try this number 1 800 433 7300 for AA worldwide customer services. I only waited for about 10 minutes when I called over a week ago.

Posted by
2489 posts

I too received my money back after American cancelled my flights to Italy. It took me less than 15 minutes. I was impressed. It had taken me a couple hours each to do the same with tickets I had cancelled on other airlines.

You call the reservation number and you get a special number that you then use online to process your refund. It took about a week for the refund to show up on my credit card.

Posted by
8124 posts

We bought our tickets from Ovago who bought the tickets from American. American passed the tickets on to their partner, British Airways.
Since B/A cancelled our return flight from Berlin, we were to get a full refund.
Now American has a credit waiting for us--not the cash refund.
We're being quoted flights 3x what we bought the tickets for, and there's nowhere in the U.S. we want to go. And we have to go thru Ovago to talk with American to book new flights by 7/31/2020.
We're not getting so positive of an experience with American.

Posted by
29 posts

I bought very cheap tickets though American. Of the $500 round trip from SEA to Inverness in mid-August, only $16 is passenger fees, $127 for taxes and the rest, about $350, are "carrier-imposed" fees. According to their website, if I cancel my trip I can "use the value of your unused ticket toward future travel on American." Does that mean all $500 will be available to put toward a future trip, or just some portion of it ($16?)? Do I have to request the taxes portion is refunded? If any has experienced this type of cancellation on very basic economy tickets, I'm just curious what happens. Also wondering if there's any benefit to waiting for American to cancel the flight first? Obviously not a lot of money anyway you look at it, but the more I pocket, the more I can use toward future travel.

Posted by
2736 posts

Joe: I dealt with American in the past month on two trips. The first would have been to the UK starting April 14. When the flight itself was finally canceled in late March because they could not fly from the US we received a full refund on our credit card--the entire amount we paid, which includes fare, fees, taxes, and seats (AA has cheap seats in economy). We then rebooked it for about the same price for mid-October, and that is under their latest cancelation provisions. We had a second trip planned for late August to the UK also with AA. A couple weeks back they canceled our direct return flight from Dublin, it is off their schedule until mid-October, and replaced it with an indirect flight that would cost us 6 hours and was not to our liking. Again, we canceled for a full refund - fare, fees, taxes, seats -but before we clicked through on that their website offered us the option of taking a voucher with a 20% bonus, which we opted for. The vouchers do NOT include seats, they are refunded. So the seats were refunded to the card, and we received 2 vouchers for $480 each where we had paid $400 for fare, fees, taxes. The vouchers must be used to purchase within 1 year, the flights then purchased merely must fly within normal time frames from purchase date. As for the late summer trip, we rebooked it for about $100 less per ticket with United (including what we will pay for the NJ Transit train to Newark), but we suspect we will be winding up with refunds our vouchers from them. Refund approval took up to 4 days by the time we did the second cancelation, and crediting to the card took 1-2 days from approval.

If you wait for AA to cancel, then you always have the refund options. If you want to cancel or reschedule before then, your options are as per their website based on when you purchased the flight and when it is flying. You may have only voucher or free rebooking if you initiate the action.

Posted by
29 posts

Larry, Thanks for sharing your experience. Sounds like decent options either way. Appreciate it!

Posted by
3 posts

I have received no notification whatsoever from American Airlines that my non-refundable June 15, 2020 flight from Philadelphia to Zurich has been canceled. Yet, I see by their website that they are not flying to Zurich from Phila. until supposedly July 15. I want to get a refund, and I read that the odds are better if your flight has been canceled. Do I just ASSUME it has been canceled or do I wait for some type of official communication from AA?

Posted by
991 posts

I would call American Airlines and find out what is going on. Sometimes the information on the AA phone app does not update -unless you have refreshed frequently. Check your flight on a laptop. I would call. I am not sure if AA has re-scheduled or actually processed the canceled flights for July yet in the system.

Posted by
47 posts

If anybody has had a successfully-processed refund from AA, how long did it take for your manual review process to complete?

Posted by
2736 posts

The process above for us took about one day on the first trip, and about 5 on the second one, when they were busier. And add a couple days at the credit card end, because somehow their computers can instantly process a charge but usually take 2-5 days to process refund (this is not just with the current airline situation, it is whenever I have had a refund processed through).

Posted by
368 posts

We also had great results with American Airlines on several occasions. But recently our trip to Normandy and the Dolomites was cancelled. We completely forgot we booked these as two separate one way trips (we used miles and wanted to book the best seats, and weren’t sure where we going to fly home from). American called us to remind us that the departure trip from VCE to PHL was cancelled and all of our miles were going back to our account, as well as any of the extras (we upgraded the seats) and all fees. We always use American since they have direct non stop to/from different cities and always book directly with them (we have a lot of reward miles). Another time we had to cancel since my husband had emergent surgery, no issue that time either.

Posted by
29 posts

A leg on my August itinerary was cancelled earlier this month, so I requested a refund on May 11. Over two weeks later and it still hasn't been reviewed yet. Sounds like it's going to take a while to get this done. Oh well, I'm not really in a hurry.