I took a gamble and bought tickets to Europe for this Fall. Hotels etc. are all cancelable so the real risk is just the airfare and I figure I can deal with a voucher if it all falls apart. My question has to do with the flight change I noticed today; our tickets are for a return on October 7th from Rome but today when I checked my reservation online it shows us returning on October 6th. I've looked around online and read some previous posts on this Forum about contract of carriage and so forth. I realize the airline can change schedules, cancel flights, etc., but what I'm wondering is if I should contact them now. It's 90 days to our outbound flights and these details could just be place-holders as they sort out aircraft & schedules I suppose. On the other hand, there might be some downside to not contacting them right away that I'm not aware of. The customer service line hold announcements asks people who are more than 72 + hours away from travel to wait and contact them closer to the travel date. I don't want to clog up the system. What, gentle readers, would you do? Thanks!
Don't cancel the plane ticket or you forfeit getting a refund. Can you change your hotel stay?
I would call since they changed your scheduled return date…unless you are ok with that.
Their automated message is as you said but they give you the option to be put in a queue for an actual callback…. Wait times vary for callbacks…I’ve had better luck with early morning calls.
My departure date for my travel in September was changed by Delta (Well, actually AirFrance did it, but it's a Delta ticket) I have a 24 day itinerary with multiple hotels, several train trips, and a rental car, All would have had to been changed. I had an option to IM Delta. I was given a flight on my original departure date at an earlier time.
I wouldn't wait. Planes are probably filling up.
I could change the hotel reservations but I don't want to. I've carefully crafted the itinerary. My hope is they will offer a different flight on the 7th that is still only 1 connection in the US. I don't want to go through Heathrow as so many of their US bound flights do. Actually, my REAL hope is they will add back the flight I booked on the 7th and put us on it. Fingers crossed!
I would call/message/Tweet AA and try to get back to your original return date.
When my airline changed the date of my flight (during COVID) they were consolidating to fewer flights each week. I could have kept the new flight date, or request a refund (which I did) because my flight date had been cancelled.
Given the date change, you should have both options: accept the new date or request a refund. You may also be able to speak to an agent about a different flight date/time than the one they have offered.
I am guessing your original flight itinerary is no longer available. To confirm that, you could walk through the steps to book a new flight on your original date and see if it shows up.
Welcome to travel in Covid times! My return flight from Spain to the U.K. was changed 7 times last October as the flight went from twice a week to weekly. I had the choice whilst out there of adding 4 nights or losing 3 days. We added 4.
Have you checked to see if AA are still flying on the date you booked? There’s a good chance that things will change again before your flight, but try to contact them to ascertain why you have been moved.
As all of us actually based in Europe have said, you need to be flexible if trying to travel this year.
Have you looked at the new posted flight options?
When these changes happ3n and I am not happy with them, l check their website for alternate dates and times that would suit me better. Ignore the pricing, just look at a flight uou would be willing to change to. That puts you back in control, as you can tell them whatnuou will take, have reduced their work not having to search and guess, and msybe scored a better overall flight.
That being said, if you fly with AA regularly and are signed up to get notifications of changes and didn't get notified for this change, then they may not be finished playing with the schedule yet. 90 days is still a ways out and with new opening dates for countries I expect this won't be the last change.
I would definitely contact AA and not just 'hope' they change you back to the 7th.
Just now I looked at FCO-SEA for Oct 7 and saw solutions that went through, Philadelphia, DFW or LHR
What, gentle readers, would you do?
Contact them ASAP
American Airlines was notorious for flight schedule changes even before the pandemic.
I would check the current schedule for that date ( start a "dummy booking") and see if your original Oct. 7 flight is even offered. They may have cancelled it and automatically switched you to the same flight the previous day. Then review your new reservation carefully. Does your new Oct. 6 flight have the same flight path, or a different routing as well as a different date? And did they put you in the same seats you had on the Oct. 7 flight, or different ones?
The more information you have before resorting to a call, the better.
I recommend that you wait until closer to your travel date. Having travel extensively before and with several flights scheduled for this year starting in July, I have seen several changes already but am waiting until closer to flight time to change. If you have compelling scheduling issues, maybe should put in a call. My experience is that the CS folks with the airlines are swamped and wait times are long to speak to a real person.
Why would you wait....nothing to lose by having a chat with them!
You might even get a better flight!
Contact them now as flights will definitely be filling up .
Remember the old saying “ you snooze you lose”? If you want to fly back on the 7th, do not wait! Call them.
I will add in regard to my flight change by Delta, the flight that I was moved to after I contacted them due to the change in departure dates, was a more expensive flight that I would have preferred when I originally booked.
Also, I'm checking in on my flight every other day or so, just to make sure it doesn't get changed to something undesirable.
While you wait with your fingers crossed for your flight to be added back, (which is not likely to happen) others are booking. You need to contact the airline as soon as you see a change to make sure you get your best possible option. Because if you don’t people who are more aggressive than you will get the option you want it and you won’t be able to get a seat on the flight you want as a replacement
Now, if you think you might want to cancel on most airlines this significant change would allow you a refund
Thanks everyone! I put in a call early this morning Pacific time and they offered to call me back because of the long wait times. It’s now 4 PM Pacific time And so far no call back. I have looked for other flights and I have some written down that I would accept on the 7th or 8th, so just waiting to make contact.I really appreciate the input.
SUCCESS! I called tonight and waited on hold until an agent answered (1 hr 15 min). A very nice lady helped me rebook for October 7th on a flight I had checked out ahead of time. You are all so kind and helpful, I love using this forum :-)
Thank you all!
Lisa, that’s great! Persistence paid off, and hopefully there aren’t any further changes to manage.
How was the hold music, or did you have to hear the same recorded message, over and over, for 75 minutes? I’ll bet that’s etched into your brain, after hearing it for so long.
Cyn, You cracked me up! :-)
It was the same short message over and over, trying to overcome my resolve to stay on the line for an agent. Glad I did.