Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coats bus & boat transportation

We have a full day in port at Positano on Sunday, Oct. 30, and would like to know if we can take a bus to Amalfi town, hike up to Ravello and catch a boat ride back to Positano from Amalfi...our time frame is 9AM to 5PM.

Posted by
204 posts

we stayed in positano in 2009 for 4 days. yes, you can take the bus to the town of amalfi in either the chiesa nuovo stop (which we used) or the other one (don't know the name). the bus ride from positano to amalfi town takes about an hour. if you are docking in positano, you will be in the sea level part of town. the chiesa nuovo bus stop is at the higher part of town which means you either walk up the winding road (beautifully canopied with bougainvillas) thru shops or take the internal bus to the bus stop. bus tickets can be bought at the small taverna by the chiesa nuovo stop. i don't know about ravello from amalfi. nor the boat ride back to positano. you can inquire there about a boat ride back or you can take the bus back. in amalfi, visit the church which was built around the 1100s. go down to the lower level where there is a chapel where st. andrew is buried. enjoy.

Posted by
2876 posts

A perhaps easier way to do it is to catch a boat at the Positano beachfront to Amalfi town. Then take the short but exciting bus ride from the Amalfi waterfront up the hill to Ravello. Then reverse the process on your way back. The bus ride from Amalfi to Ravello takes 20-25 minutes. The whole thing is easily done in your time frame. Then have a nice glass of Lacryma Christi when day is done.

Posted by
977 posts

Tom's advice is spot on. It's a helluva of a hike uphill from Amalfi to Ravello. Take the bus and give yourself more time to enjoy one of my favourite places I have visited (Ravello). You catch the bus virtually where you alight from the boat. Also to walk the Amalfi Coast road is a downright scary experience.