Please sign in to post.

Amalfi Coast Transportation

Hi everyone!

I'm currently studying abroad in Rome, Italy, and attempting to visit the Amalfi Coast in mid-April. To get there, we're currently training to Salerno and then taking a ferry from Salerno to Positano on Friday morning. We'd like to leave that coming Monday and get back to Rome in time for our class at 2pm, but there are no ferries out of Positano early enough to get us home in time. I tried looking at the SITA bus schedule for options to get us to Salerno or another train station but I'm having trouble deciphering the timetable and routes.

Any chance someone has used the SITA bus and can help me read the schedule and purchase tickets? We'd ideally like to leave Positano as early as possible on Monday and get back to Salerno to then take the high-speed train home.

Thank you in advance for everyone's help!

Posted by
4101 posts

You'll likely need to take a bus to Amalfi and then another to Salerno. Total time to Salerno will be about 2.5 hours. You may be better off taking the bus from Positano to Meta and then catching the Circumvesuviana train to Naples.

No matter what you try, the trip will be slow, chaotic and somewhat unreliable, as will the schedules. I relied on Google over the SITA schedule which can be confusing. The SITA bus is like a city bus and you don't buy specific tickets in advance. Go to the local Tobacco shop in Positano to buy a ticket.