Please sign in to post.

amalfi coast at christmas 2008

Has anyone traveled on the Amalfi coast in December? If so what is the weather and what hotels,cafes,ferries etc are open?
Thanks
trudie atlanta

Posted by
49 posts

Hey Trudie,

I have only been to the Amalfi coast once, and it was in early June, so not really too applicable. However, if you follow this link:

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3?s=98261&refer=

it shows monthly weather statistics for Napoli (Naples...), the closest big city that was listed on the website above. It gives the average high as 56F and low as 42F for December.

This is purely speculation, but I would guess that the majority of restaurants that would be open at that time of year would be catering almost exclusively to locals. When I was there, there were a fair amount of tourists. Thus, there MAY be a number of places that were open when I visited that may shut their doors during the winter.

With that being said, the locals need places to eat, and the places that are open will be more "real" and less touristy, affording you a more genuine experience.

I'm not too sure about the ferries. On wikitravel.org, it says that the ferries only run from may - sept. I want to think that this can't be right, but it could be that only tourists use the ferries.

Happy travels,

Geoff