Please sign in to post.

Alitalia - Rome to Miami 10/5/09 Flight #630 -1/2 plane arrived NO luggage

Half our plane did not have luggage upon arrival in miami. PLS repond if you were on this flight and are still trying to locate your luggage or you have rec 'd it? I ve tried calling, emailing, and like all the other complaints here, the phone number they gave us is bogus (305) 869-1124. If you speak both Italian and English, perhaps you will have more luck getting to the bottom of this....like others, I believe our luggage is just sitting in Rome or in a back room in Miami? Appreciate any assistance, wish I d read these complaints b4 flying.....

Posted by
5 posts

Steve,

Thank you. I have called that number several times as well. I am directed to press 4 for Miami as my arrival airport and then once again forwarded to a voice message indicating a voice mail which in turn tells me the party does not have service for? The 305 869 1124 local number is the same deal, no answer, forward to a VM that the party does not subscribe to resulting in no ability to leave a message. Are you w/ airline?

Posted by
5 posts

Tried that number as well and funny how it all works; again a long Voice machine message and no ability to speak to a person or leave a message. The online complaints are very discouraging. May I ask how are related to this topic?

Posted by
10344 posts

Here's a link to comments made on this forum about this airline over the last two years. Many of them relate to delayed or lost baggage.

click here

Posted by
9363 posts

I know that you are upset, particularly since you are unable to contact Alitalia regarding the problem. In the vast majority of cases, though, the bags will eventually arrive. And at least you are at home rather than in Rome with no bags. Alitalia has a bad reputation for misplacing luggage, unfortunately. I'm assuming you already filed a claim once you arrived in Miami?

Posted by
5 posts

Yes, I m hoping for the best. Thanks for the support!

Posted by
2207 posts

Ah, Alitalia... Paula, you're just looking at this all wrong... Half the plane DID get their luggage - and that's an accomplishemnt for Alitalia!

Sorry, I feel your pain. Before living here we flew Alitalia often because they were a Skymiles member and after a few trips - no more. We lost our luggage 2-3 times and always headed TO Italy... so we were on vacation for days without clothes (and more than once). On our last "adventure" with Alitalia, I had an Italian native cut through all the voice mail challenges and they were able to "find" my luggage. But only afterr two days of searching.

I've tried working through Delta, who booked my tickets back then - they just kept referring me to Alitalia. You are unfortunately at the mercy of the carrier responsible for the flight when dealing with luggage problems. Alitalia has left my bags in Paris, Toronto, Florence, and Rome... so for us, since we live here, it's only "carry-on" if we fly Alitalia - GOOD LUCK!

Posted by
32171 posts

Perhaps this is a good reminder for anyone considering flying with Alitalia - travel with carry-on luggage ONLY!!!

Posted by
5 posts

I had buried my head in a hole and resigned that after reading all the comments online regarding luggage and Alitalia; I would never see my precious bag again. I even made of list of all my goods and their value, aprox. $2800 US. When late last night around 11 pm, I heard a distant ring on my phone. Having been away for so long, I knew it was something.....my husband and I locked eyes in silence with the same anxious hope!

On the other end, I heard a little italian voice telling me it was Toni from Alitalia delivering my bagio! YAY! We all danced (golden retriever was in on it as well) and cheered and sang the luggage song! Woo hoo!

It arrived, TSA locks in tact, all my precious gifts accumulated over 5 weeks in traveling were all squished in just as I had packed them!

Mind you, a hard lesson.

Caveat emptor!

Thanks for all the online support!

Posted by
10344 posts

Alitalia usually manages to find your luggage, they just believe in the Italian saying: tomorrow is good enough.

Posted by
881 posts

I don't know what Saints you prayed to Paula, but miracles do happen (apparently!). Congrats!

Hints if you have to fly them again: avoid connections, book through a travel agent so THEY can get on the phone to and harass them (giving you a break), and ship anything important home - from another country. =| lol

Congrats!

Posted by
9363 posts

That's one reason that I always pack my gifts and souvenirs in my carryon bag, not my checked luggage.

Posted by
14811 posts

A good friend of mine lives in California with his Italian wife. Two to three times a year they go to Italy to visit her family. I asked if they ever flew Alitalia. His response: "No, we prefer a real airline."