Please sign in to post.

Air France carry-on restrictions?

I'm going on a 7-10 day trip to Russia (St. Petersburg and Moscow) next summer. My group will be flying Air France from O'Hare to Paris, where we'd get another flight to St. Petersburg (unsure which airline from Paris). I'd heard that the European carriers have strict weight requirements for carry-ons, but was a little surprised to see Air France's coach limit is 12kg total (26lbs).

I was intending to go carry-on only, but I don't know if that's feasible now. I was planning on getting RS' Convertible Carry-On bag and only having a medium-sized cross-body purse with a bit of reading material, camera, etc.

Any thoughts?

Posted by
872 posts

When we flew Air France in September, they seemed more concerned with the size of the bag rather than the weight. Both check-ins had us place our bags in the box to make sure it was within guidelines (it was). The RS bag you mention will fit the criteria for size, and I'm sure you can work on the weight if you really want to carry-on. But, I also agree that it really depends on who is behind the counter checking you in and how strict they want to be. Have fun!

Posted by
691 posts

Michele, we have been on flights with Air France twice, and we tried to go carry on both times.
Excellent service by the way. The first time they did put everything on the scale and were very picky, we had to check our luggage, because the 12kg is everything included, camera, day bag too. The second time we had a similar bag as the RS convertible carry-on bag, and we made it carry on no problem but never check the weight. We also saw lots of people who did not meet the guidelines but had carry on too,
so i guess it all depends on who you get at check in. We loved the convertible carry on! Good luck.

Posted by
19099 posts

For someone (me) who spent 14 days in Germany/Austria last summer with a carry-on bag that weighed less than 16lb when I started, I find your statement that 26lb might not be feasible somewhat ridiculous. I do have a slightly lighter (1¾lb) bag vs the RS Convertible, so I'll grant you the extra lb., but still, 9 more lbs?

This isn't a cruise or a social event where you need a trunk full of clothes and 20lb of cosmetics. You need to exercise some self control in packing. Take what you absolutely need, not what you might need or would like to have.

Take cotton polyester clothes that dry quickly so you can wash them out in the evening and have them ready to pack the next morning.

Start today by making a packing list. Pack everything on the list in your bag and weigh it at the post office. Look at the list periodically and ask your self if you REALLY need each item.

BTW, wheeled bags add an extra 5lb or so, so using one would cut 5lb off what you could take.