Please sign in to post.

air france

how much can you carry on and is the exact size of carry on luggage really enforced ?

Posted by
23301 posts

It depends on the airline so check the web site. It varies and sometimes varies greatly. Is it enforced? Sometimes !!! It strictly depends on the gate and their mode for the day. Sometimes more strict than others. There is no definite answer that you can depend on.

Posted by
1068 posts

From the Air France website: "Only one carry-on baggage per passenger. The sum of its three dimensions must not exceed 45 inches (wheels and handles included) and it must not weigh more than 26 pounds. Passengers in Tempo economy class with pets travelling in the cabin are not allowed to also carry a baggage in the cabin because of space. " We fly Air France whenever we can, and have not had trouble getting our carry-ons aboard. That being said, we both travel VERY light. I have personally witnessed a passenger being told that his carry-on exceeded the size limit, and being told to check it. I saw this one time only. And the guy was seriously trying to bring a laughably large bag on as carry-on. I mean, I was amazed the agent kept from snorting derisively. So.... others may have personal experience, but that's my two cents'-worth.

Posted by
203 posts

Kira, did you also take a personal item with you such as a purse or computer bag that fit under the seat in front of you in addition to your carry on suitcase?

Posted by
1068 posts

@Marianne - yes indeed. I always take my carry-on plus a purse.

Posted by
2788 posts

I have taken six flights since August 19th and I can tell you from that limited sample size that I have seen folks stopped at the gate because their "carry-on" exceeded the wire rack at the gate to folks bringing suitcases onto the plane that would not fit into any overhead storage bin no matter how hard they pushed it. I travel light and would like to see the overhead bins assigned to the seat row immediately below them since I often get on a plane in the front half and find all the bins full of stuff from folks sitting in the back half of the plane who do not want to carry their belongings back to their seat. I just checked in on the internet for another flight tomorrow morning and was charged $25 to check one large bag since I am going to be gone for 10 weeks. No wonder folks try to take all sized things onto the planes. Happy travels.

Posted by
85 posts

I just recently returned from Europe and going over we flew Delta to Paris. We both had Rick Steves roller carry on bags with us (that was it, no checked luggage) My husband took a small "personal size" camera bag and I had an oversized purse. Coming home we had to take Air France from Venice to Paris to catch our return flight on Delta. We had to check both carryon bags because even though they were ok on Delta flights, not on the Air France. We thought this may be the case so we were prepared. Both bags showed up in Salt Lake City. It was only Air France that had the issue with the size. So if your luggage is the regular size 21in carryon bag, you will have to check it on Air France.

Posted by
3110 posts

Sherri---did you have to check your bags on the Air France flight because they were oversize, or because you and your husband were each also carrying a " personal item" and thus exceeded the one-bag limit?