Please sign in to post.

Air france

How does Air France compare with other intercontinental carriers?

Posted by
798 posts

You can go to: airlinequality.com/StarRanking, and they have a rating system. Air France, Lufthansa, British Airways na Swiss Airlines all are 4 star. KLM, Alitalia and most of the US carriers are 3 star. Part of KLM's problem may well be that they code share with Delta and while your ticket may say KLM it's on a Delta fllight. While there are no guarantees, our experience with Air France on four flights has been very good. The one thing you will notice is that the meals are better coming back than they are going assuming yo will be flying out of DTW.

Posted by
2191 posts

We've flown American Airlines, British Airways and Air France and really enjoyed our flight on AF. They had best food of the lot.

Posted by
362 posts

I flew Ohare to Paris on AirFrance. The only issue I have is that you can only choose seats 30 hours in advance. That's a Big deal for my husband. From home no problem getting online to get good seats, but on return with being busy enjoying the end of vacation I ended up with a middle seat for an 8 hour ride home. Just booked United for July and have my seat assignments. KLM has a 120 before flight rule and an extra charge for 2 seats across. I also had the carry on issue as your wheels may put you over the size requirements.
Look at everything. Iberia (Spain)still allows 2 free checked bags last time I checked.

Posted by
85 posts

We flew Air France as part of a Delta flight while in Europe. No problem with the airline. Just keep in mind that the carry on sizes we are used to don't always work on Europe airlines. We brought two roller bag suitcases that we got on all of the Delta flights but coming back we had to check both because one leg was on Air France (the first one) and their requirements are different. So make sure you have what you need with you just incase you need to check carryon bags.

Posted by
1068 posts

LOVE. AIR. FRANCE. Love. Edible food - sometimes even better than edible! Free booze.

Posted by
77 posts

Air France is one of my favourites. Not just because it's convinient and cheap and fast from Montreal to Paris (about 3 flights per day) but the food is AWESOME! Fois gras, beef bourgignon, cheese, wine, chocolate even port with desert (lemon tart)!! MMMMM

Posted by
4051 posts

The Air France website for the United States includes a seat ion chart which allows you to choose your place on their non-stops from Chicago to Paris at time of purchase. Across the Atlantic, Air France/KLM (they are amalgamated but retain their operating identities) and Delta run many pool flights together. Usually the operating airline is specified but sometimes you can guess from the flight numbers. While I have never tasted foie gras at the back of the plane where I sit, AF does pour champagne, or at least white wine with bubbles. Hardly a deal-breaker, but nice.
The in-flight movie ion is also more interesting than on Delta.

Posted by
4051 posts

Oops. Don't know if I crossed my fingers, but "seat ion" should be "seating". Sorry.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks to all who replied! We will go with Air France. Sounds a lot better than the miserable United flight we took last fall.